Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:06 AM   #1

These photos were taken with a Canon 20D. The lens was a Tamron 28 - 75/2.8. These were taken at 75 and cropped signficantly. Note: Yes, I want a Sigma 70-200/2.8, and someday I will have it:-). My main indoor sports action lens has been (and continues to be) a Canon 85/1.8, but I wanted to put the new Tamron to the test. All in all, I was very pleased with the results. Comments would be appreciated.
Attached Images

acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:46 PM   #2

Acrabb,

What was your aperture and shutter speed for that shot (too lazy to look up the EXIF data)?

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:36 PM   #3

I was shooting ISO 3200; 1/640 (set shutter priority)- the result was f/4. I guess that I could have gone to ~1/1000. I am attaching the original photo for comparison. This one has only been downsized.
Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:22 PM   #4

acrabb,

That's amazing you could get F4 at 1/640 at ISO3200. Must have been fairly well lit.

Suprising that the feet were still a blur at 1/640th.

Shoot wide open, aperture priority, and get the fastest shutter speed you can. You'll also get the least depth of field which will blur the background.

You got some nice saturated colors on the shot. Good lens.

Terry

Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:24 PM   #5

I dont know if you noticed, but I edited my previous post to include the original photo - just in case you want to see what I started with.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:33 PM   #6

acrabb,

That's cool, you shot wide and then cropped later. I do the same.

When the shot is cropped, it looks like the feet are blurred, but when I see the full photo it doesn't look so blurred.

Maybe it's slightly out of focus, I'm not sure. I usually pre-focus my shots, and then hold the shutter down half way, then take the shot atthe right moment.

You've got a good start there. I've spent about 4 years trying to perfect my sports shots, and I still have room for improvement.

-- Terry

Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:42 PM   #7

Thanks - I agree that it's probably a little out of focus. I have owned the 20D (my first dSLR) for about 3 months; so, I am still experimenting. It's really not my intent to shoot wide, but I was testing my Tamron 28-75/2.8; it was fully extended at 75. So, that was the best that I could do - they wouldn't let me on the floor:evil:

As I mentioned previously, I usually shoot this with a 85/1.8, but the lighting was great; so, I tried my newest lens. I was very pleased as I actually purchased this as my "walk around" lens to replace the 18-55 kit lens. Once I am able to purchase the 70-200/2.8 (probably will go for the Sigma), maybe I want have to crop so much. Thanks again for your comments - I look forward to many more satisifying moments with my new toy:-)
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:07 PM   #8

That's a nice lens selection.

You have the best of both worlds.

good luck!
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:14 AM   #9

Great Shot!

I have the Tamron also... Great lens... I also have the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX. I highly recommend it! Great lens!

1/640 is nice! Most of the gyms where my step-daughter competes (level 8) I end up shooting 1/200 even using ISO3200 f2.8. I used to worry about blurry toes until started looking at the gymnastics magazines...they have blurry toes too! :-)

I'ld love to see more of your shots!

Since they don't let me on the floor either I picked up a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 EX :-) it's very nice!

BTW here's a similar shot taken at Michigan State a few weeks ago...

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:41 AM   #10

Mr. Saginaw,

Thanks for your comments. I will try to get more photos posted, but now I have get ready for church. Quick question - how do you post multiple photos in 1 message? If the answer is long and complicated, just tell me to post them individually - not a real problem. I have admired your action shots before - that's the reason the Sigma 70-200/2.8 is on my list. Here is one other recent shot (from a recent post-scroll to the last one) - but it's not gymnastics.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

[/i]

Current time is 08:38 am

Watch Topic