Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:35 AM   #1

Hello all,

With the advice i got from a previous post, i did purchase the Canon 50mm f/1.8

However, because i love e-bay, i purchased first the Canon FD 50mm f/.8 for only $14.00

I will be purchasing the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mark II very soon.

The only downside is that I have to focus manually which i do not find hard at all, even in fast action game like Basketball. Here are my first shots with it. Please let me know what you think, please bare in mind that i am MANUALLY focusing.

Also, the gym i was in, was very dark to begin with, thank god i had the f/1.8 to work with. otherwise the images would hae been VERY dark, as i tried a test shot with my Tamron 28-80mm f/4.5-5.6

With the highschool boys and girls team out of the playoffs, i'm forced to shoot the elementary girls and boys. Who are very fun to watch.

Only minor edits were made to these images for brightness/contrast in Photoshop CS

Camera/Lens Specs:

Camera: Canon Digital Rebe;
Lens: Canon FD 50mm f1.8 WITH Canon FD to EOS Converter
Shutter: 1/200th
ISO: 1600
Aperture: f/1.8

This one was taken with the Canon FD 135mm f/3.5

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:31 PM   #2

Travis,

Not bad, although the one thing that I notice is that you are cutting off the feet and leaving a lot of overhead space (this is from someone who also does it:-)). Try putting the center focus grid on the players stomach, usually that will help with the exception of the last photo. I would like to see a little higher shutter speed if possible but boy do I know about the lighting in gyms. Before you buy another 50mm take a look at the EF model of 50mm, it is auto focus. I have one and really like it but for manual focusing you dida good job.

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:38 PM   #3

Not too bad, try 1/250th or 1/500th shutter.

Max out your ISO to 1600 or 3200 if your camera has that setting.

If you shoot a little wider, you will gather a little more light. Try to get some open space around the player/players. You can always crop the picture tightly later using photo editing software.

Hey, run that 50mm F1.8 wide open at F1.8 wherever possible. Keep your shutter speed as high as possible.

Those are great first shots. Post a few more photos from you're sessions and you will be looking like a semi-pro sports photographer.

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote