Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:53 AM   #1

I want to take some indoor sports shots with no flash. I was thinking ISO 1600 with my digital rebel and 100-300 usm 4.5-5.6 lens (it has to be this lens for me to get close enough to the players), would F8 be a good setting for this? These will be in enclosed basketball area.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2

A whole lot depends on the lighting in the gymnasium. F8 is gonna be too small an aperture I'm sure. You are photographing sports so shutter speed needs to be your priority. 5.6 will be as wide open as you can go when you are zoomed out so you need to find a shutter speed that will stop action around 1/250-1/500 I would suspect. You will have to open up your lens and then play with the ISO to see where it falls given the lighting. Also you will be zoomed out so a fast shutter will be necessary for another reason besides stop action and that is camera shake. Find the best and most solid position you can. I'm assuming you will be in the bleachers and far away from the action..do you have a monopod you might use?

I have a 20D and the ISO can be forced to 3200, not sure about the 300D...you might have to go there if you can.

Let us know how it turns out and post some pics.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:35 PM   #3

I shoot mainly indoor sports and mainly gymnastics, which is a NO FLASH sport! That being said I set my 20D to ISO 3200 and my lens wide open at 2.8. In the typical high school gym that puts the shutter speeds around 1/250 which is really not fast enough but works pretty good. In a well lit gym I might be able to get up to 1/400 or 1/500 shutter speed... Looking at your DRebel with max ISO of 1600 (unless you do a hack) and your lens even at f4.5 I'm guessing your shutter speeds are going to be pretty slow, causing blurring of the action... I would try shooting in Av mode with your lens wide open and the ISO set to 1600 and see what kind of shutter speed you get... as the Trout pointed out your going to need 1/250-1/500...

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:48 PM   #4

I'm in agreement. I shoot some indoor basketball and I've been lucky enough to shoot in some very well lit college and pro arenas. I can get 1/600 or so at ISO 800 in the pro gym - the same speed was ISO 1600 in the college gym (see my NBA post a few down - ***SHAMELESS PLUG***). High school gym would probably drop to less than 1/250 - all of this with the same 2.8 lense Mr. Saginaw uses. You didn't say if you are actually going to shoot basketball or not. Besides the advice they offered I'll add this:

Choose your shots: A jump shot has a natural freeze in motion so you can get away with a slower shutter speed - so would a dunk if the participants are capable of it.Other shots are a player dribeling while 'facing off' with a defender - only motion will be slight hand and ball which can look good. But the bodies for the most part will be stable.

Trying to capture someone driving to the basket will probably produce bad results. So, understand where the natural pauses are in the game - you can still capture intensity and get some decent shots, you just won't be able to 'freeze' fast paced action. Hope this is helpful
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:12 PM   #5

thanks, its actually my 16 year old sons indoor soccer team that are playing the semis today in our local basketball indoor building, it has reasonable lighting, I do not like flash photography in these situations. I will give it a go with the 100-300 lens as I cant see my kit lens 18-55 being useful in this place.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:14 PM   #6

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
Looking at your DRebel with max ISO of 1600 (unless you do a hack) and your lens even at f4.5 I'm guessing your shutter speeds are going to be pretty slow, causing blurring of the action...

how do I do a hack?????