Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:53 PM   #1

Canon 20d photo
Attached Images

acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:52 PM   #2

Nice shot, i love the intesnse look in the kid's face.

One minor thing, and that is with the timing. I think that a shot just before the kid threw the ball, such as the windup, with the arm behind the back, just starting to bring the arm forward, would greatly improve the photo, as it would show action.

The favorite pic i every had taken of me, was a few years ago, when i played baseball for my school. I wascovering second base, and the pitcher had just thrown the ball, and the runner on first stole. The catcher threw me the ball, but it was short, so i had to move up. Right after i caught it, i spun around, dove toward second base, and put my glove between the base, and the runners foot. The photographer covering the game at the time, took a beautiful picture of that, with me with my arm streched out, and the runners foot, just making contact with my glove.

Baseball, can be boring to watch and photograph, but there are those little bursts of excitement, throughout the game.

Keep up the great work!

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:26 PM   #3

One of the things that I try to do is to try and get the ball in each shot. In baseball, all the action surrounds the ball and if you follow it, you're likely to get something happening.

I, of course, shot this through the backstop fence.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:58 PM   #4

Thanks Travis - I agree with your comments. I guess that I wasnt quite ready when the ball the hit to him. Not to make excuses, but all of my photos from this game were taken through a chain link fence (with very narrow openings I might add). Not knowing where the ball is going, then trying to set up to have a salvagable photo requires more skill (and luck) than I currently have. Nonetheless, I enjoy taking pictures, and I am driven by the constant challenge of taking photos that please me. One reason that I like this one so much is that for me anyway - at least 9 times out of 10, I would have ended up with the first baseman in focus and the second baseman out of focus. The fact that I got this was right was luck - I wish that I could claim otherwise, but unfortunately it's the truth. Thanks again.

Andy
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:18 PM   #5

nice
who_am_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:12 AM   #6

Thanks who_am_I. I am honored that my photo was the receipient of your first post. I am very much a beginner, and I appreciate the kind word - moral support is a wonderful thing. Thanks again and welcome aboard
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:15 PM   #7

Baseball in the pic or not you have captuered a unique momment . I like almost everything about it except may be the softness around the face.. but the capture is awsome I keep comming back to this one and enjoy and get something everytime i view it Nice job.... Dale
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:21 PM   #8

Thanks Dale - I am very pleased with this one. Since I have never taken a photography class and since have owned a dSLR for only a couple of months, I am pretty sure that I qualify as a beginner. So far I have learned a couple of things, but the most important for me has been to take LOTS of pictures then a couple are bound to be keepers - I can't wait until my keeper percentage approaches 50%.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:38 PM   #9

Hey guys. I saw the picture where the chainlink fence is visible. When I shoot baseball through a net or fence, you move real close to the fence and the lense cannot focus on the lense. Its like trying to force it to a macro lense, it just won't work. I use a sigma 70-200 and the net (smaller opennings than chain fence) is not visible at all! Good luck.

Danny O.
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:55 AM   #10

When moving up real close to the fence, just watch out for foul tips.

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote