Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:04 AM   #1
TG

Pictures from the Australian International Airshow 2005 at Avalon.

Have posted these pictures on a couple other sites and I would like to share them here.

Canon EOS 10D, EF 300mm f4 L

Canon EOS 10D, EF 300mm f4 L & 1.4x TC

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:05 AM   #2

Really good job. I especially like shots 2 & 3 and the fuel duimp by the FB-111 is always impressive. Again a great job!

p.s. I have an airshow to attend in September with the Blue Angels and it will be the first time I have been to one with a digital SLR. I think I have enough memory cards:lol:
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:14 AM   #3

These are great shots, and timely for me as Im going to the Cunderdin air show (out in the wheat belt of western Australia) next Saturday 26th March. I would like to know what kind of settings you used? I have a 100-300 usm lens and I dare say it will be fully out to 300mm. I have canon digital rebel. Any tips welcome:-)

I understand you used F4 but was it on AV auto or manual???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:17 PM   #4

Wow Nice, nice, nice, good job
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:17 PM   #5

Wow Nice, nice, nice, good job
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:52 AM   #6
TG

The second shot:Canon EOS 10D, EF 300mm & 1.4x TC (420mm), 1/3200, f5.6, ISO 400, TV (used TV & AV), AI servo AF, All focus points, continuous drive. Also used custom function 4-3 (moves AF to * button on back of camera), A lot of people say this is the best way to set up AF for action shots as the AF is always on and just hit the shutter button to shoot. This was the first time I tried this and worked well, shot high shutter speed with the jets to give myself the best chance of taking good sharp shots especially hand holding 420mm lens ,following planes in the sky and slower shutter speeds for propeller planes to try and blur the propeller (less good shots but this is expected). Your 100-300mm will be great for planes taking off and landing might be a bit short for some sky shots as I found 420mm a bit short for some shots but to long for landing and take off shots, 500mm would have been nice for sky shots. Two camera bodies would have been nice,I would have used my EF 70-200 f4 L on one and 300mm f4 L & 1.4x TC on the other. Take a lot of shots, get a good position up front so your not shooting peoples heads. Good luck have fun and post some pics for all of us to see.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote