Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1

Iam interested in taking pictures of horses while in motion. I need to capture the motion when the legs are in a certain position relative to each other. I guess I need a camera that will let me press and hold the shoot button and have it take many pictures per second. I would also like to take videos with the same camera. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve B
sdbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:58 PM   #2

Steve,

I'm guessing a moderator will move this post - but you should really try the 'what camera should I buy' forum. You may have to make some concessions regarding your requirements however. "Many pictures per second" is a tall order to fill. For the best frame rate per second you would need to go to a Digital SLR camera - where there are several models in the 3-7 frames per second range. They also have better buffer management so you can shoot continuously for several seconds. But a digital SLR is, of course, expensive and they don't shoot video. So, there are a number of point and shoot digicams that are capable of taking action photos under very desirable conditions (i.e. bright sunny days). But if the conditions are not bright and sunny then you may be back to needing a digital SLR which can produce much better pictures at high ISO speeds which allow you to get faster shutter speeds in less than optimal conditions.

I don't shoot running horses but I have a feeling with a non DSLR you may have troubles meeting your requirement of capturing the legs in the exact position you are looking for - I just don't think you'll be able to snap off enough pictures to capture that 1 shot where the legs are in the right position.

With that being said - what is the driving force for needing that captured? What I'm getting at is do you need a quality photo or is it something you could get by looking at the frames of a digital video?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 3:28 PM   #3

Thanks, JohnG. About the idea of individual looking at individual frames in a video, I havetried that. I have used Dazzle's (Movie Pro or something like that) to view and edit the video. I can indeed get exactly the frame Iwant showing on the screen. However, when in frame-by-frame viewing mode, the silly "SaveScreen" button is disabled. SoI can't create a jpeg of the frame I want. Do you know of a video editor that lets you save a singleframe to jpeg? Or maybe there is a camera that would let me send a single video frameto the computer in jpeg? Thanks, SteveB
sdbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:32 AM   #4

Sorry - can't help with video work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote