Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:51 PM   #1

Unfortunately seats were a bit too far away and up so I couldn't get facial details. But I'm still pretty happy for my first MLB pictures.

Canon 20D. Sigma 70-200 2.8. 1.4x

Change-up:

"A Deep shot to deep center field.....GONE!!!"

Admiring my (Ludwick's) shot:

Base Hit:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:46 PM   #2

great shots.
how do you like sigma 70-200mm?
does it compare to canons 70-200 "L" lens?

What iso did you use?
r00022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:18 PM   #3

Super!!! That Sigma looks good. Im contemplating something like a 70-300 for some baseball for the D-70. If a Sigma is looking that good I just might look into that lense. Did you handhold, or used a Pod?
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:30 PM   #4

The shots were all handheld (although since I was sitting I could brace my elbow on my knee). The shots were a mix of ISO 100 & 200 with shutter speeds around 1/1000. With the teleconverter the lense was at f4.0. But, since I was pretty much at infinite zoom I found I got better images when I stopped down to f5.6 or f6.3. Not because the lense isn't capable of great shots at 2.8 or 4.0 just that I was having a hard time at that distance with getting the right things in focus.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It is a wonderful lense - I bought it because I knew I would be shooting sports and felt I needed the 2.8 and it was about $400 less than the Canon 2.8. I must admit I've never used the Canon. But I never ran across anyone that was dissatisfied with the Sigma and couldn't find a good justification as to why the Canon was worth $400 more. Image quality and build quality of the Canon is supposed to be slightly better but I didn't find anyone who could state or prove that a human can tell the difference. So, $400 was a little too much just for the build quality. Money saved went into the 1.4x teleconverter and a circular polarizer (for the Sigma and a 17-40L). I have to be honest though in that I find the combination of the lense and TC tough to stabalize hand-held. The lense alone is no problem. But when I add the TC it's a little tough. Since I've never used another lense that long I'm not sure if it's a weight thing or just the fact you're trying to stabalize something with an affective focal reach of 448mm.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm a firm believer though there is no substitute for lense speed with sports. You can get by with a 4.0 for outdoor sports in great lighting but for poor lighting or indoor the 2.8 is a must.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote