Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 18, 2005, 5:33 PM   #1

Just got the 350D even with the kit lens i can crop and still get a good picture, a world away from the 1 mega pixel shots i was getting before, it was good for the panning practice.

looking for a canon 100-300 EF lens of should i go for a sigma 70-300 APO II? or 70-200?

words of wisdom reqired, also is the picture any Good?

Thanks in advance

Rob B
Attached Images

EOS-Rob-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 8:37 PM   #2

Awesome shot!

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 1:28 AM   #3

Yep, great shot.

The Canon 100-300 USM is a nice lens, ive taken plenty of portrait shots with it, however its not fast enough to capture action well.

The CHEAP Sigma zooms are woeful, slow focus and blurrey shots most of the time, having said that they take some really nice shots if you have the right conditions.

Ive got the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX HSMhttp://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...38&navigator=3

ultra fast focus, sharp image, my walk around lens (its a bazooka )

Spend to your budget and you'll get something which you will learn to get good photos out of.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 7:38 AM   #4

EOS-Rob-UK wrote:
Quote:
looking for a canon 100-300 EF lens of should i go for a sigma 70-300 APO II? or 70-200?

words of wisdom reqired, also is the picture any Good?
Rob

Great shoot. When you get a longer lens you won't have to crop as often.

Post you question up in "Canon Lenses" I think the slant up therefor
"Less Expensive" goes to Sigma. I like mine (70-300 APO) but have very little
experience with it and none with other Canon lenses except the kit lens.
My old film Maxxum and zoom seems like a dinosaur now.

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 2:11 PM   #5

Thanks Terry, Twofruitz and Dale.

Shot some portrait and distance stuff, more impressed with this kit as the days go by. bought a viewfinder extention and has stopped mode switching by accident problem (need it as have glasses and big hooter anyway)

I am looking on ebay for the 100-300 canon as from what i have read and heard it beats the 70-300 for consistant sharpness. The 350D produces "soft" pictures in the default setting so i do not want a soft lens to go with it. I have stretched the family budget to get the 350D so around £100-£150 is all have left for a lens/filters at the moment.

Even in another year or so of saving i think it will be a sigma lens. The 70-200 2.8 Ex is expensive but it seems a sensible choice to go for fast glass and will give my ample zoom power with the 1.6 multiply factor. will read and post on the Canon lens forum. In the meantime i will post another shot from that dull damp morning, even if it was 90 in the shade i could not have enjoyed it more. I missed my MTL3. shot below looks OK to me but i wish the marshalls had hidden that distracting fire extinguisher. Ah well price meeting for old cars tommorrow so i will see what i get (rain forcast Bahhh)
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2005, 2:50 PM   #6

Hey Rob...

Have you considered the sigma 100-300 f4? I shoot thousands of photos at the local track with that lens, and I just love it. Focusing is super Quick (with the 20D), sharp photos and good saturation. It's a bargain for the money. I paid $700 USD for a used one from eBay. I'm attaching a couple of pix I've shot with it.
Attached Images

TTfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 2:52 PM   #7

more
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2005, 2:53 PM   #8

more
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2005, 2:54 PM   #9

last one
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2005, 3:56 PM   #10

Nice shots TTfoto, notice last on at 1/100s are you using a monopod? great panning.

$700 must be the EX series lens, new in the UK just over £500 ($1000). I am limited to around $300 in your money so i will have to wait.

out tommorow with the cars to practice panning etc ready for the British Superbike test day next week at Croft (May 24th) £5.00 to get in and all money goes to Air ambulance so don't mind that.

Rob B
will post more in main sports forum from last week (my first shoot with the 350D and STD kit lens 18-55mm