Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 23, 2005, 7:24 AM   #1

I need some suggestion on capturing a moving object like bird etc. I'm using Canon S1 IS. Currently the Auto focus is set to `Single' (not Continuous). When I spot the bird in my frame, I press the shutter half way (takes 1-2 second) to let the camera focus on it. By this the time, the bird will be out of my frame. Please suggest a solution for this. Am I not doing the right way? Should I set my camera to Continuous Auto focus mode?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 4:12 PM   #2
djb

Glass, i am no expert on your camera but, i did read a little bit about it in Steve's review. I think you have something a bit confused (or maybve i am). the continuous focusing you mentioned, i didn't read anything about that. there is a continuous shooting at 1.7 fps for up to 24 frames. that mode i would use to capture flight shots. also, if you have large flying bird as a heron or soaring raptor, then it may be a bit easier to track them and get a good focus and shoot a few frames. small fast birds flying by are going to be very difficult, if not impossible, with a 1-2 second focus speed. what you might want to do is prefocus on a spot where you think the bird may fly and keep the shutter button pressed 1/2 way to keep focus and wait til the bird gets there. now, if once your camera is focussed and as long as you hold the shutter button half way, and if your camera will continuously focus that way then use your continuous shooting mode and go from there. hope that helps. there's lots of us out there that have cameras that do keep a moving objrct focussed and it's still difficult to get really good flight shots. definitely more throw-aways than keepers.

dennis

p.s. for sports, most people will prefocus on a spot and wait for the subject to arrive (baseball player sliding into home, e.g.). even race cars focus at a corner and wait for the car to get there. i think you have a focus lock option on your camera. that might work in these situations.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 4:19 AM   #3

My requirement is to take the picture of the bird flying in the sky. In this case, I won't be able to do the pre-focus. What will I do in these situations?

By the time I press the shutter half way, the picture freezes in my LCD for 1-2 seconds, by this time the bird is out of my frame. How to avoid this?

I never tried continuous shot. I will give a try. But if there is a solution for the above problem, i'll be so :-).

Regarding the continuous focusing, what I mean is ....

AF Mode - Continuous/Single
Continuous : The camera focus continuously even if you don't press the shutter half way.
Single : The camera focus only when you press shutter speed half way.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 9:36 AM   #4
djb

Glass, use the continuous AF mode. this way the camera will continuously focus on the flying bird. I assume you have an EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) which will blank out during recording. Does the camera have an optical viewfinder too?? some cameras do and you could use that to keep the bird in view while following it. If not, then you will have to take the chance and take the best guess where the bird will be as you try to follow it. Flight shots are not easy!!! and with the limitations of your camera, it makes it a bit more difficult.I have a fuji s602z and the it works the same way as the canon s1. i had difficult times taking bees in flight from flower to flower because of the screen blanking out. because birds will be further away, it is even harder. another alternative is to use your movie mode and then extract the best frames form the movie using software like registax. the picture will only be 640x480 max but it may be the way to go.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 1:03 PM   #5

Glass wrote:
Quote:
I need some suggestion on capturing a moving object like bird etc. I'm using Canon S1 IS. Currently the Auto focus is set to `Single' (not Continuous). When I spot the bird in my frame, I press the shutter half way (takes 1-2 second) to let the camera focus on it. By this the time, the bird will be out of my frame. Please suggest a solution for this. Am I not doing the right way? Should I set my camera to Continuous Auto focus mode?

Why not try the Manual Focus. Prefocus tothe approximate distance you expect the bird. Us the Av mode, and set the f-stop to f8 to keep a fairly good DOF, and shoot away. Using MF you don't have the shutter lag to the same extent as in the AF mode.
GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote