Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 29, 2005, 2:21 PM   #1

Very proud of this pic, get better at panning, as the su shone for a bit got he iso down to 100 and tried a few shots at 100/s, got this after 4 attemps.

Rob B

shot with
Canon EOS 350D Std Kit lens 18-55 @ 55mm
F11
1/100/s
ISO 100
cropped a wee bit LOL
Attached Images

EOS-Rob-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2005, 5:01 PM   #2

I was just wondering what time it was in the UK and if you were going to get a picture up tonight.

Great picture.

I hope I'll do as good as you when it comes to panning.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 5:44 PM   #3

Thanks Dale just to prove it wasn't a fluke here is another

it was also shot at the same settings and sharpened a weee bit otherwise stright from the large jpeg.

rob b

Had some family pics to sort first, lots of nice car here today, dodge viper and lotus elan i think amongst the fun. it was a private track day but very well supported. will post a few more of my "keepers" todays keeper ratio is around 1-4 but there are around 80-90 more to have a loser look at. the sunny weather has done wonders a lot more sharp pictures as i shot at iso 100-200 and always above F8 to get the best out of this kit lens.

regards

rob B
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2005, 5:46 PM   #4

Here is another one for you Lamborgini fans,
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2005, 5:53 PM   #5

Also a Dodge viper? sounded nice

rob B
Attached Images

Old May 30, 2005, 5:03 AM   #6

I really like the panning effect (and your photos are top notch).

Can you explain how you pan, is it just a matter of a slow shutter speed and moving the tripod at the speed of the car?

Thanks Rob.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 6:06 PM   #7

Well here goes this is what i try, yes try to do.

set the * button to do the focus (custom parameter 4) and set on AF servo so AE is not locked and set centre sensor.

use 1/350-1/500/s most of the time. On fast stuff it will blur the wheels. (bike wheels will blur at a faster shutter speed as they have thinner spokes.)but getting better and using 250 some times. i think i got lucky with these shots at 100/s and 200/s as they were traveling relativly slow. (50-55mph)

as other will tell you don't go below 1:1 shutter focal length i.e. 300mm lens 300/s or above

1: decide where i want the shot.
2: face the spot with feet slightly apart
3: turn (twist)top of body only in direction of target usually to the right at Croft.
4: hold arms tight to chest (i hand hold at the moment using monopod soon.)
5: spot target
6: breath in
7: aquire target in centre sensor and follow as best i can on a contrasty bit while breathing out and shutter button half way down.
8: just before you get straight on hold breath.
9: when stright on FIRE and follow through holding target on focus point till twisted the other way.

just make sure you hold the target for at least 1 second to allow the focus to get a good lock. i also put the camera on continous so if the focus is not locked 100% for the first shot it will get it on the second also if anthing happens you are shooting and don't miss anything.

I am not a pro (nowhere near gifted amature yet) i just enjoy taking pictures and bikes. I get about 1 really excelent picture in 4 goes. hand not as steady now (nearly 45) so i will see what ratio i get with the monopod.

there are plenty of superb posts on panning technique here in the forums, so go and get shooting, it's great fun whatever you come back with. and it's a great buzz to have a nice sharp subject and nice blur, gives you the right there feel.

will have to post more

Regards

rob B