Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:34 AM   #1

This is my cousin's son. We get along great but he will probably want to kick my butt for this one:lol:

Canon Digital Rebel W/Sigma 70-300 @300

ISO 1600* 1/1000 f/5.6 TV Mode Photoshop Elements 2.0

*I don't know about anyone else but the weather just does not want to cooperate this year. In May we had 27 of 31 days cloudy and rain (I thought I saw an Ark go by once) So far June is a little better but still a lot of times we have had clouds or fog. High ISO ratings have been the norm so far.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2

I definitely like the capture and composition. But, the picture is very noisy and a little soft for my tastes - I think an quick pass through noise reduction software will improve it a great deal. Thanks for sharing!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:29 PM   #3

John,

I do agree about the noise and softness. I did run the image thru NeatImage and was not really happy with the results. So I am going to put this question not only to you but anyone who wants to answer:

What noise reduction software do you use or recommend? (also include the price of the software in your answer)

Thanks again John
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:43 PM   #4

I use Noiseware Professional - I bought both the CS plugin and standalone (for batch) - but I truly find that I personally use the plugin 99% of the time - I find that even for a series of shots from the same event my noise reduction settings change - for instance as soon as you change color or levels or curves you usually change the noise profile. I may be doing things wrong, but noise reduction is the last step in my process (since it results in some loss of data) - so because my levels, curves changes are often different for each photo my profile is. I think the software is like $60 for just the plugin. They have a free version that is very good but it does two things that annoyed me:

1. It removes EXIF data

2. It won't let you save a full image size - I forget how much it reduces image size when you save but it does.

Also the free version is not a plugin.

I've had great results with this product. I suggest downloading the free version and giving it a try on some images - if you like it then either stick with the free if you can live with the above or buy the pro version. If you don't like it, then it doesn't cost you a penny
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:30 PM   #5

Here is the same photo, I used Noiseware Professional to remove the noise.

Much Thanks to JohnG!!!!

Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:12 AM   #6

Just looked on this picture and i think my last question was answered here, the weather!
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote