Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:31 PM   #11

Again, I appreciate all of the great comments. There was a huge element of luck in getting this shot, kind of like playing golf for years and finally getting a hole in one.
Dave Chrismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:24 PM   #12

a wonderful shot , perfectly timed as you said.

The DOF is great too! You get some blur from the fence in the background, but got the player sharp and with good contrast.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:13 AM   #13

What an incredible photo!!! I shoot everything for our little league and you have done an awesome job.

What kind of camera were you using when you shot this? I'm really a beginner and I have been using a Kodak 7630. However it just broke. I'm looking at getting the Kodak Z740. My nephew is a pitcher and I have gotten some great shots in burst modebut I want to make sure that the Z740 will go an even better job. Due to some complicated circumstances I need to replace the 7630 at the location where I purchased it. I can upgrade and the Z740 will cost me about $80. I can stay with the 7630 if I want to also.

I also use the camera for work - Real Estate - so I shoot exteriorwith bright light and shadows. I'm often shooting water and ofcourse interior photos in low light conditions with backlighting. So I basically need it all.

I would appreciate any input. But I need it ASAP. I need to get the new camera right away since my nephew is pitching in the Little League Sectional Tournament Friday night.
tle817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:34 AM   #14

I use a Canon 20D DSLR, usually with a Canon 70-200 F/2.8 lens for baseball. The 20D will shoot 4-1/2 frames per second for at least 20 frames set at large fine jpeg. I am not familiar with the cameras you mention in particular, so I will just offer some general advice. If you can shoot without too much noise at ISO 400 that will allow you to use higher shutter speeds (the posted photo was taken at 1/8000). For baseball, I try to use at least 1/1000. A good zoom certainly helps and the ability to use large aperture, preferably F/2.8. If you are interested, I have many more baseball pictures on my web site:

http://www.chrismer.net/galleries/Ba...Galleries.html

Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:35 AM   #15

Dave:

I myself have the canon 20d and love it. I have a few lenses. I mostly use the canon 70-200 f/4 lens because of its handling and size. The picture below was taken with this lens. The problem i have is this, I also own the sigma bigma 50-500mm and its so big and hard to handle with either a monopod or tripod. Is your canon 2.8 big like this or more like my canon 70-200 f/4? Whats the price range for your lens? I know canon is higher than sigma thats why i'm asking? I might consider selling the bigma and getting your canon 2.8 if it's easier to handle. john jcarboski@yahoo.com
Attached Images

jcarboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:48 PM   #16

Dave,

Great shot! I've been shooting my daughter's softball games for two years and this is the Holy Grail of sports shots, IMO. I've come close a few times, but I've never nailed it.

To jcarboski,

I use the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L as well, and have been happy with the results. It was a great improvement over the Quantaray lens I had been using. It is a little on the heavy side, though. I'm not sure how it compares to the f/4 in image quality, but it is 1.25 lb heavier and a little bigger. While I have used it hand-held, my left bicep tends to get a little fatigued after a while. A monopod is quite helpful with this lens. I think B&H has it for about $1,100.

tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:43 PM   #17

I actually also have a Bigma 50-500 and a Canon 70-200 F/4. The image quality of the 70-200 F/4 is at least as good as the F/2.8. The only thing you lose is 1 stop, but the F/4 is much lighter and easier to handle. I can and have hand held the 70-200 2.8, but I much prefer to use it with a monopod. If I were only doing outdoor sports, I would not have invested in the F/2.8, but for indoor sports, the extra stop is handy. The 70-200 F/2.8 is not very much smaller or lighter than the Sigma 50-500, but just enough to make it pretty easy to manuever around onmonopod for baseball games. For shooting soccer on large fields, I don't think there is a better lens available than the Bigma. The Canon primes are somewhat sharper, but when the action gets close, you're out of luck. By positioning myself at one end line, I can catch action anywhere on the field without needing to pivot the camera more than 20 or 30 degrees in either direction. I would say that if you are doing mostly baseball, I'd stick with the 70-200 F/4, it is much lighter and easier to handle, and you would not see any difference in image quality with the F/2.8. I believe that the price of $1100 already mentioned is correct for the non IS version, and the IS version is around $1700. I went and spent the extra money for the IS version and always leave it turned off. IS does no good for action sports and I don't use it for anything else. Hope I didn't get you too confused.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 5:12 PM   #18

Dave:

Thanks for you input it's very much helpful to me for sure. Dave I love the outdoor baseball/lacrosse shots ect with my canon 70-200 f/4 and agree it's easy to manuver around with. Can you give me some advice to using the sigma 50-500mm for indoor hockey shots? few sample settings you think might work. I'm thinking of upgrading tp the canon 580 speedlight from the canon 420 i now own, will that be a big improvement inside a rink with my bigma?? Thanks JOHN
Old Aug 6, 2005, 5:12 PM   #19

Dave:

Thanks for you input it's very much helpful to me for sure. Dave I love the outdoor baseball/lacrosse shots ect with my canon 70-200 f/4 and agree it's easy to manuver around with. Can you give me some advice to using the sigma 50-500mm for indoor hockey shots? few sample settings you think might work. I'm thinking of upgrading tp the canon 580 speedlight from the canon 420 i now own, will that be a big improvement inside a rink with my bigma?? Thanks JOHN
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:57 PM   #20

I have never tried to use my 50-500 for hockey, only for outdoor soccer games. I use my 70-200 2.8 for all of my indoor stuff. I have also never tried using a speedlite for hockey, as some of the shots are too far away for it to be effective. I usually shoot in aperature priority mode, setting the aperture wide open and ISO 1600 or even 3200. I usually set an Ev of +2/3 as the bright ice tends to cause under exposure of the players. I am attaching one here that was taken at iso 3200, f/3.5, 1/250 sec, +2/3 ev at 200mm. It has not been through any noise clean up or sharpening. If I were going to print this, I would definitely want to clean it up a little. When I shoot for a team, I usually get permission to be in the team bench area, so I don't have to shoot through the glass or try to shoot over it from much farther away.
Attached Images