Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 16, 2005, 8:30 AM   #1

I took these of my son (the gaol keeper in black) yesterday. It was late afternoon and almost dusk, I shot these at F9 at 1600 and 800 ISO. I'm thinking I should have had the F stop around 5 maybe, any Ideas on settings for this situation welcome. How do I get them sharp without the blur?

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:08 AM   #2

What kind of lens were you using?

I am learning myself and do not have a fast lens. I did however with good light get some excellent shots by using Shutter Priorty (TV Mode) with my *ist DS.

I have a Tamron 4-5.6 LD 70mm to 300mm lens. I got it used for $90.00 and used the sunhood.

I went with Shutter Priority 1/250 and the Aperture varied from F6.3 to F11.

I posted my soccer shots here earlier if you care to take a look at them.

Looks like your son is very agressive off his line.

I did find it interesting that there was no net on the goal though. I have been part of soccer for 33 years of my life and still kicking. I got a late start at the age of 12 back in Hawai'i.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:05 AM   #3

I would like to know camera and lens. My best suggestion at this time is to try and keep your shutter speed up. I try for 1/1000 and no slower than 1/800. Soccer is one of those sports that you need a fast shutter speed. Second with the low light available a monopod might not be out of the question. I use one quiteoften and it helps.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:54 AM   #4

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
What kind of lens were you using?

I am learning myself and do not have a fast lens. I did however with good light get some excellent shots by using Shutter Priorty (TV Mode) with my *ist DS.

I have a Tamron 4-5.6 LD 70mm to 300mm lens. I got it used for $90.00 and used the sunhood.

I went with Shutter Priority 1/250 and the Aperture varied from F6.3 to F11.

I posted my soccer shots here earlier if you care to take a look at them.

Looks like your son is very agressive off his line.

I did find it interesting that there was no net on the goal though. I have been part of soccer for 33 years of my life and still kicking. I got a late start at the age of 12 back in Hawai'i.

Thanks, no nets because of vandalism in the area at the time. Lens is 100-300 usm canon. I managed to get really great shots of motor cross that Ive posted with similar settings so I thought they would work for soccer:-)
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:56 AM   #5

Thanks, canon rebel 300D with 100-300 lens
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:31 PM   #6

I take a lot of soccer pictures of my grandkids' teams. I usually shoot in Aperture mode, selecting the widest possible aperture. My normal soccer lens is a Sigma 50-500, so depending on the zoom at any given time, I am shooting anywhere from F4 to F5.6. This accomplishes two things: first, it lets you shoot at the fastest shutter speed for the available light and second, it blurs the background as much as possible. I usually try to shoot at ISO 400 as long as I can get at least 1/1000 shutter speed, if not I bump it up to ISO 800. For daytime games, even on cloudy days, that will usually be as high as I need to go. In general, I prefer to shoot at 1/2000 to 1/3000 shutter speed, but I have gotten decent results as slow as 1/500. Any slower than that will definitely be blurred, especially with older and faster players.

The attached pictures are scaled down crops of some of my recent shots.
Attached Images

Dave Chrismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:22 PM   #7

Thanks, this gives me some idea of what settings to use next time.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 7:40 AM   #8

I also use the 300D, last season I did my shots with a Sigma 70-300 with the camera set on Tv Mode. I try to keep the ISO at 400 but Maine weather being what it may ISOs of 800 and 1600 are also used. My usual shutter speed is 1/1000 and if I have to drop below 1/800 I raise the ISO. This season may be a little different as I now have a Sigma 170-500 so I will have to see how that works out. If you would like to see some of my soccer shots go to:

http://k1par.tripod.com
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:55 AM   #9

Wow! Did not think that the Canon had to go so high in iso and shutter speed. I used my *ist DS at iso 200 and shutter speed (TV mode) of 1/250 and got no blur whatsoever. I have the exif intact on my posting if you care to look at it.

I did post earlier and I will say that the sun was very good that day so that is possibly how I was able to get those shots that I posted earlier.Try to shoot from the opposite side of the field to get good DOF.

In the case of the goalkeeper that does not always apply.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:54 AM   #10

not sure what my shutter speed was as all mine were on AV mode and it was near nightfall so it explains the problems I had.

thanks for all the help everyone, I will give it another go:-)