Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:47 PM   #1

Hi all! I was at the cabin all last week, and it was nice enough for us to do somewakeboarding. Here are my first attempts at some action shots. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ride16 (http://www.mkklein.smugmug.com)

Attached Images

ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:56 PM   #3

The 2nd image is nicer than the first.

The first looks sort of plain, whereas the second image has nice wave contours, and a little more context (shot at a wider angle).

I'd say just keep shooting, you've got an interesting angle there.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments, Terry! It was my first attempt, and it was hard to get any good shots while the boat was bouncing around so much. Hopefully the nice weather will continue here and I can get some more practice in!

Take care-

Melissa (www.mkklein.smugmug.com)
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:43 AM   #5

The first is a very nice people picture. Something someone could use on a website or what parents would use to show off.

The second is very lively. It's great shooting from the water, you get into positions that would otherwise be impossible and for me it is somewhat uncharted territory.

The one thing I would like to see, is if you could get the stability to drop down to a low shutter speed and get some of the interesting waters assoiciated with a lot of landscape shots. This may not be possible but I would still give it a go, it costs nothing.

Anyway, great shots.

KUTGW.
Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:15 AM   #6

Thanks so much for the comments, Buceph! I think that's a great idea aboutusing a slower shutter speed. I never thought to try that. It might add some more movement to the shot. I'll have to try that next time we go out, and if they turn out I'll be sure to post them.

Take care-

Melissa (www.mkklein.smugmug.com)
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:58 PM   #7

I understand how tough it is to shoot in a boat. I use the strap to steady the camera. I may not explain this well enough though.

First, hang the camera strap overthe left shoulder and make sure it stays on the top of your left shoulder.

Next the camera is taken withyour right hand and pulled up to the front ofyour face. The strap will be under your armpit. Slide the strap untilyou can put your camera in the position for looking through the viewfinder and restyour chin on the strap to provide a solid feel of the camera. Pull a bit forward to straighten and steady the camera. The camera is rock steady. No more tired arms trying to steady the camera.

Doing this I got excellent shots of waterskiing and wakeboarding.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 4:44 PM   #8

Great suggestion! I'll have to try that next weekend.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:00 AM   #9

vIZnquest: That's a really great idea. I have been taking shots from a yacht for the past week (holidays). It was extremely difficult to get the shot. with the boat being moved around with the wind and heeling over I had to keep a something framed for about five minutes to the correct lighting and composition. And you can't ask people in the middle of a race to stop sailing the boat and pose for a picture. Anyway, I will be trying out your suggestion next time.
Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:47 AM   #10

I often use almost the same method as you Tom and even wrap the strap around the wrist a couple of times.

I always thought it was just me being strange. The chin is an additional piece of advice, thanks.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote