Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:56 AM   #1

I need some help with settings when taking action shots at the rink. Not only do I have moving targets, I have the issue with lots of white from the ice, flouresant lights and shooting thru plexiglass. Any tips would be appreciated. I am using a Canon 20D. Here is a sample from yesterday.

vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:30 AM   #2

I really should let the people who have done a bit more of this give you the answers, but I'll mention a few things. Ice and snow are generally problems for the light meters. They aim for (I think) 18% grey as the normal balance. The higher amount of white causes the camera to underexpose. Therefor, compensate by overexposing the shot either through manual settings or your exposure compensation settings. You can also fix it to some degree in Photoshop. Select Adjust - Curves and use the white eyedropper, click on the brightest part of the ice and the picture will look a lot more like you remember it.

Another consideration is, of course, the speed of your lens. When I have taken pictures of my sons indoor soccer games, a good strategy has been to volunteer as the time keeper. You get to sit in the middle of the rink (good and bad, depending on the shots you want) and this gets you in an area where there is no glass or netting. Of course, you have to watch out for stray objects flying through the air. Soccer is a bit easier as it is running time, not stop time, so I can pay attention to photo or video opportunities. I still have to prepare myself for yells from parents if the score is not posted within 1.2 seconds of the goal occurring. Don't they know that its not the score that matters, but whether the photographer got the shot?

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:31 PM   #3

A quick edit using the above described method in Photoshop CS

Took about 30 sec and could be tweeked to look much better.

Attached Images

Ron G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:38 PM   #4

Wow! What a difference!!! Thanks Kevin and Ron.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:36 PM   #5

I am using PS Elements, actually a new user. I am going to need a little more direction as to the how to's of the process.Thanks, I really appreciate this.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:52 AM   #6

1. Use ISO 400 or 800 if you are not already.

2. Try spot or center weighted metering if the subjects are coming out underexposed.

3. Get away from JPEG and Shoot RAW then use the included RAW software to process the image. You will have much better exposure and white balance control than in PS.

4. Use a nice fast lens. You might be able to get away with f/4 lens shooting high ISO.

5. If you cannot get from behind the Plexiglas then get as close as you can. Put your lens right up to it to take care of any glare.

If you are not using a flash and are allowed to, use something like a 550ex or canons newest flash. At a high ISO and using a flash you will be able to shoot manual and bump your shutter speed up a little. As long as you don't go to high on the shutter speed the images will maintain a more natural light look. If you go to high the camera is going to capture more flash and less natural light.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:37 PM   #7

I have somewhat similar problems with indoor soccer. I've started using my 1.8 85mm SMC Takumar. With my *istDS, it has the reach of a medium telephoto, and the speed allows me to use a lower ISO and get better pictures.

This is a cropped shot at 800 iso, I think.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:31 PM   #8

Ron G is offline   Reply With Quote