Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:49 PM   #1

Ron G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:28 PM   #2

Great shots and I like the cropping as well. How much PP do you use?

Some shots look as thought a bit of USM would help bring a couple shots up a bit sharper. Some levels as well.

I would not tank the current lens. Looks very good to me.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 4:57 PM   #3

These are really good pics. The first two are the best and the 2nd shot is a real keeper. The pass shots are lacking - not because of anything you're doing wrong - but because the passes are not spirals and the ball looks akward in the air. I agree a little USM could help but they still look good. As for the lens, for shooting in bright light whatever lens you are using seems to be working fine. The only thing lacking is more bokeh from a wider aperture. What lens are you using now?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:38 PM   #4

Lens is a Nikkor AF 70-300 4-5.6 G

Plans are to purchase a 70-300 2.8

Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:44 PM   #5

John,

What lens do you use for night shooting of Highschool Football.

I have viewed your shot and would like to get similar results for night games.

I am using the same lens currently and am forced to use flash(same for indoor sports) and still don't get the results that I want due to aperture restrictions(I think. Still kinda new at it).

We have a Very well lit stadium(similar to Paul Brown in Massillon) and I should be able to shoot without flash with the more open aperture.

Any help appriciated as I think your shots are awsome.

Thanks
Ron g

Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:45 PM   #6

Ron G wrote:
Quote:
Plans are to purchase a 70-300 2.8

Wish Canon made one of those. CLosest we can get is the Sigma 120-300 - by all accounts a great lens but a 70-300 2.8 would be outstanding.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:55 PM   #7

Ron,

Thanks for the compliment. I use a Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens. Unfortunately even with 2.8 I find I need to shoot at ISO 3200. And, at the last game I shot the focusing was SOOOO slow at the endzone at the end of the game because the lighting was bad. I could probably use ISO 1600 around midfield but by the endzones I think I was getting around 1/320 shutter speed (I prefer aperture priority set wide open at 2.8. With lighting like Paul Brown stadium I would think 1/1600 could be the norm with possible 1/800.

The Sigma also has a Nikon mount so it might be a less expensive alternative (around $750)to a 70-300 2.8 (which I would think would have to cost several thousand $$). But 200mm is still a little short even on a 1.6x crop camera. My goal is to buy the Sigma 120-300 2.8 next year ($2100) if fincances allow.

For now I'm hoping my team (Lake Catholic) makes it to States which is usually a day game for Division III - and at Paul Brown stadium - so that should allow me to use my 1.4x TC or even my Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 lens.

Unfortunately there's no substitute for speed when shooting sports. Nighttime football and indoor are the worst - you either need flash or fast lens - 2.8 or faster. Unfortunately I'm not making a living off my photography (good thing as I'd probably starve) so it's hard to justify $2000+ on a lens upgrade.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:53 PM   #8

Well personally, I am hoping that your team does NOT make it to states because they would have to beat MY team(Steubenville Big Red) in the semis to do so.

I do think that the two will meet in the semis. They are currently on a collision course for one another.

The D3 state game this year is at 11:00am on Friday Dec. 2nd at PBTS.

Hopefully we do meet up in the semis and you and me can meet up.

Good Luck this week against Hoban!!!