Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:56 AM   #1

These were taken with a Canon 20D and a 50mm 1.8 II. Shutter between 400 and 1000. Aperture at 1.8. ISO at 800.

I am somewhat pleased but I would like to have my pics come out much sharper.

Any suggestions? Is the auto focus in the 50mm 1.8 II too slow? What lens whould you suggest. Basketball season is starting so I would like to get a proper lens pretty soon. The only other lens I have is the kit lens and the Canon 70-200mm f4L.

Attached Images

RadioControlGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:56 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:57 AM   #3

Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:59 AM   #4

Old Nov 5, 2005, 2:00 AM   #5

Old Nov 5, 2005, 2:01 AM   #6

Old Nov 5, 2005, 2:02 AM   #7

Old Nov 5, 2005, 9:09 AM   #8

My understanding is that the speed of the autofocus rests more in the camera than the lens. Obviously, the motor speed of the lens has something to do with it, but I understand that your lens is fairly good. I don't have it myself, so can't compare - I use a Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

Some pp sharpening may help. As well, I think it depends on your focus point. If it's all automatic, the camera may choose one of the AF points that is centered on a forground player or the net. Two of the shots look like they are a sequence and if you are using multiframes in sports mode, I believe your camera uses the centre AF point (at least my rebel XT does that), so if you are trying to include both attacker and defender, the focus may end up on an object between the two, such as the net, leaving both a bit out of focus, depending on your DOF.

I have tried prefocusing - either on the net, or on a player near the net - about where an attacker would be when hitting and wait for the play to come to that point, rather than rely on autofocus. At least in volleyball, you know the play will usually end up at one of a few points along the net.

Still learning myself, so if you find something that works well, please let me know.
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:51 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips, I will try again tonight!
Old Nov 5, 2005, 3:30 PM   #10

RCG,

It would be more informative if you were to post some pictures "Out-Of-The-Camera" That way we see what you were focusing on and the EXIF data.

With a Digital SLR you can expect some PP. It's the way the game is played so you get more control of your pictures.

On some of these it looks like you may have allowed the camera to focus on something other then the player. The net is always trying to get into the act. However... I think the pictures are pretty good in general and a little practice is going to yield excellent pictures. You're doing great and going in the right direction...

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote