Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:44 AM   #1
E.T

Taken with KonicaMinolta A2.

First some planes on ground.

Flying Gas Station aka KC-135 Stratotanker.

But why do they have that emblem inside door? They definitely won't keep it open when flying... :O

Electric Jet/Lawn Dart aka F-16 Fighting Falcon but called as Viper by pilots.
(taken over 2 m high fence and barely seeing LCD because of bright sunshine)

Some close shots of Plastic Bug aka F/A-18 Hornet.
PS. Compare landing gears to those of F-16's...

Finally some shadow and good place to see show. :lol:
(they had totally cloudless weather from start to end, this show must have burned good weather allocation from next five years but it wasn't only thing burning... my left side got some "overexposure")

Alternative ways for arriving to show.

Some Flying around.

Low speed high alfa run.

Then high speed flying with shock diamonds visible in afterburned exhaust.

This one could be called as "low and fast".

BAe Hawk Mk.51 and Midnight Hawks Finnish Air Force demo team.

Unfortunately most flying happened in such direction that sun was 90% of time shining directly to eyes.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:37 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing the shots. I wish you could include the sound files on the flybys.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:22 PM   #3
E.T

I think finding sound reproduction system capable to that ground shaking sound might be quite hard.

And unfortunately they're not allowed to break Mach 1 under angels 30 according to Finnish Air force pilot I talked.

PS. Those big, high bypass, turbofans in KC-135 are really silent, there was dB meter near flight control tower and it didn't notice that plane from background noise!
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:57 PM   #4

thelanding gear comparison is striking, but not surprising, since the F/A-18 was designed for carrier landings ("controlled crashes"), and the F-16 was designed for the relatively soft and gentle landings practiced on 3,000m runways... also, all carrier-based aircraft have dual-wheels on the front, because the catapult bridle hooks to the nose gear strut between the wheels to launch the airplane. land-based aircraft don't need a catapult, and so can get by with a single wheel and much less robust construction.

oh... excellent shots, by the way! reminds me of why i need to get to the next big airshow and try my hand at pics like these!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:52 PM   #5

Some great shots, especially of the F-16s. I've fallen in love with the F-16, since that's what the local ANG wing has been flying for the past 13 years. Last time they had an airshow was in 1997, and they had the Thunderbirds doing their demonstration. Great show. Even bumped my head on the intake of an F-15. I love how they let you get up close and personal with the aircraft.
apekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:30 PM   #6
E.T

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
theĀ*landing gear comparison is striking, but not surprising, since the F/A-18 was designed for carrier landings ("controlled crashes")...

land-based aircraft don't need a catapult, and so can get by with a single wheel and much less robust construction.
Actually one Finnish AirForce pilot told that F/A-18 has to be "slammed" to runway... if glide slope is too gentle aircraft tries to "bounce back to air".

Yeah, land based aircrafts aren't made for "shooting" them to air. Even F-15 which is quite heavy fighter has slim landing gears.

apekt wrote:
Quote:
Even bumped my head on the intake of an F-15. I love how they let you get up close and personal with the aircraft.
Well... I wonder have they changed regulations now.

And Fresno ANGB and 144th FW I assume....
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ity/fresno.htm

Some F-16 pics:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../f-16-pics.htm

And for some really beautiful flying videos check these.
http://www.patricksaviation.com/vide...ion=view&id=14
http://www.patricksaviation.com/vide...ion=view&id=52
If you know more this kind videos it would be nice if you would send links to them using private messages.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:52 AM   #7

Yup yup. The 144th would be my hometown wing. I love the sound of them taking off. Thanks for the link to the F-16 pictures. Now if some of them were 1280x1024 it'd be better. I could use some of those nice pictures as my XP background. If I was on our other computer, I'd post the 3 lousy pictures I got of a F-16 coming in for a landing. They were quite low due to the "storm", but the camera made it look like they were miles away.

-Josh
apekt is offline   Reply With Quote