Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:16 PM   #11

terry@softreq.com wrote:
Quote:
I like the last shot the best.
Thanks Terry... But why the ugliest steal of the season??? She was nothing but lucky the catcher couldn't find the handle on the ball. BTW Z is 6'3" and pretty. Just her steals are ugly.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:40 AM   #12

Nice action shots. My main suggestion (from shooting baseball and softball/fastpitch, I know how hard this can be): watch for ugly backgrounds, i.e. fences or trash bins. I found this year I have really been focusing on backgrounds, sometimes I do better at that regard than other times.
Also, the second pic looks pretty grainy. Don't know if that's ISO noise, soft focus or what, but it's noticeable especially when compared to how sharp the next photo is.
Keep up the good work!:|
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:51 PM   #13

murphyc wrote:
Quote:
Nice action shots. My main suggestion (from shooting baseball and softball/fastpitch, I know how hard this can be): watch for ugly backgrounds, i.e. fences or trash bins. I found this year I have really been focusing on backgrounds, sometimes I do better at that regard than other times.
Also, the second pic looks pretty grainy. Don't know if that's ISO noise, soft focus or what, but it's noticeable especially when compared to how sharp the next photo is.
Keep up the good work!:|

MurphyC,

Thanks for putting in a comment. I was beginning to think Terry was the only person out there. Your right. I was a little (A LOT) sloppy on the USM for picture 2. The crop was too much also. BUT TERRY SAID SHOOT WIDE!!! Just kidding... As for backgrounds... Boy! We both know about that! For the most part there is no good BGs they all have something back there. It's a lot of work if it's for a print out or competition picture to get rid of all the cra... er.. ah... stuff back there. However... If the ugly background is the BG in pic #7 of Tiffany,that kid is still there for a VERY GOOD REASON! THAT'S MY KID laying there warming up. But really...That is why I didn't get rid of her. Others are not so fortunate. Here is the original of Katie M's steal inpicture #1. Everyone behind the fence. OUT OF THERE!

Thanks for your comments.
dale

PS: Oh... This is funny. I have a whole series of pictures from the first scrimmage of the season and my first game with the new DRebXT. I was so wrapped up with the camera stuff i didn't notice until they were on my computer that there was a problem with the BGs. They were beautiful pictures, would you like to see one? I call them the outhouse set.

Attached Images

Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:50 PM   #14

You chopped off another girls head in picture 4 like in you other post. Why is this one ok and the other a bad shot?

1morethyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 6:09 PM   #15

1morethyme wrote:
Quote:
You chopped off another girls head in picture 4 like in you other post. Why is this one ok and the other a bad shot?
A head here and a head there. heck... I've been know to make whole people disappear like the three guys in the picture above compared to the first picture in this post. The difference between picture #4and " Girls that steal" The ones that got away could have been a prize winner. (maybe.. We'll never know) Both those pictures could have been... maybe...

I guess pic # 4 isn't OK either.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:20 PM   #16

I like the last picture, also. Mainly because she's got her hands up like she's afraid of getting hit with the ball or something. It's the humor in the picture that made me like it.
apekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:31 PM   #17

Thanks for posting these; the main reason I bought a camera was to record my daughter's softball games, so I can relate. I know from experience that backgrounds are tough in this sport. There is almost always a parking lot, a fence or a bunch of spectators in the background. If you find a field that backs up to some trees, you're lucky. I use a small step ladder to shoot over the fence, but I've actually considered buying one of those tripod deer stands. Problem is, I can't find one that will fit in my truck. Right now I'm saving up to buy a 400mm prime, so I can get some decent shots from the centerfield fence. The facial expressions of the batter and catcher can be priceless.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:07 AM   #18

tmilner wrote:
Quote:
The facial expressions of the batter and catcher can be priceless.
Especially when they see the ball headed straight for their noggin. I remember some of the facial expressions I saw as a pitcher and first baseman. Also, I remember the faces I made and the thoughts that were going through my head while batting and playing catcher.
apekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 8:21 PM   #19

apekt wrote:
Quote:
tmilner wrote:
Quote:
The facial expressions of the batter and catcher can be priceless.
Especially when they see the ball headed straight for their noggin. I remember some of the facial expressions I saw as a pitcher and first baseman. Also, I remember the faces I made and the thoughts that were going through my head while batting and playing catcher.
This gives me an idea. Hummm. I think I'll sort through the 1000 pictures I took this year forexpressions. Good idea! Thanks guys.

dale

Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:34 PM   #20
Super Moderator

the tiffany shot is awesome! simply a wonderful capture!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote