Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:21 AM   #1

4 of 6
Attached Images

davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2005, 1:25 AM   #2

Crop!

Crop out anything to the left of the boys with his hands out, crop to the top of #24's head, and crop at the knees.
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:10 PM   #3

Yah, and don't chop off feet if you can avoid it.

Shoot vertically, and wide, then crop later with software.

You need to zoom out and include at least 20 percent more around the border of your shot, then crop later using software.

Then you'll be rockin man!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:16 AM   #4

Interesting, two schools of thought. One suggestion is crop at the knees and the other is try not to chop off the feet .... I actually prefer the feet in approach.

The vertical shot ... I have been trying it out actually. This is purely my own hang up but I feel that if I shoot vertical, I may lose some peripheral information that could make the picture more interesting. Also when viewing a vertical shot, generally speaking, I cant get it as in your face close up as shooting horizontally. I do realize that these are my hangups and I need to broaden my horizons!

Cant really zoom out. I use a Canon 50mm 1.8 to shoot these HS gamesand its a small gym, so .... sometimes I can get everything I need, somethimes not. I do have my eye on a Sigma f2.8 24-70 when tax return time rolls around becauseI do need a bright lens that does have some zoom range.

My other bball lens in the Canon 100mm f2.0. A much better lens but the fixed focal length doesnt work very well in the high school gym. I use it at the college gym.

Thanks for your input, guys! I do appreciate it.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:17 AM   #5

Interesting, two schools of thought. One suggestion is crop at the knees and the other is try not to chop off the feet .... I actually prefer the feet in approach.

The vertical shot ... I have been trying it out actually. This is purely my own hang up but I feel that if I shoot vertical, I may lose some peripheral information that could make the picture more interesting. Also when viewing a vertical shot, generally speaking, I cant get it as in your face close up as shooting horizontally. I do realize that these are my hangups and I need to broaden my horizons!

Cant really zoom out. I use a Canon 50mm 1.8 to shoot these HS gamesand its a small gym, so .... sometimes I can get everything I need, somethimes not. I do have my eye on a Sigma f2.8 24-70 when tax return time rolls around becauseI do need a bright lens that does have some zoom range.

My other bball lens in the Canon 100mm f2.0. A much better lens but the fixed focal length doesnt work very well in the high school gym. I use it at the college gym.

Thanks for your input, guys! I do appreciate it.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:26 PM   #6

There aren't really two schools of thought here. I was sugested croping the feet out because you already lost them in the original shot. Rather than leave the kid with feet but no toes make the shot about the reaching for the ball: the action or motion of that bell in relationship to the player's posture.

Africa
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:56 PM   #7

Africa wrote:
Quote:
There aren't really two schools of thought here.

Africa
David,

Correct. Crop is what can be done with thephoto you have to make it more interesting.

"Coulda-woulda-shoulda" shot wider is for next time and has nothing to do with this picture. Just say "OH DANG!" and don't do it again. You will... We all do. Just make sure you have enough photos, that the whole day is ruined by one picture to tight.

I like tight... If it's right. I'll gamble a few shots for the the good one. You gotta have all the pixels for a prize winner... All of 'em.

This picture was just framed wrong but it really isn't bad. Practice by taking another two or there thousand basketball pictures and you'll get better. I PROMISE !

dale

PS: Hi Terry

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 8:20 AM   #8

Thanks Dale.

Shooting sports is challenging and I truly believe that due to the dynamic nature of what is being shot, most of the "fantastic" shots are pure luck!

I shoot about 500 shots a game and keep between 50 - 75. Of those, maybe 5 or 6 are perfectly framed. I do need a better lens (in the HS Gyym I use the Canon 50mm 1.8) because in the confines of this gym, 50% of the time the lens is too long.

I also need to work on getting the feet in the shot as I have a tendency to "shoot high". The balance is that often, because Im "too long" if I get the feet I miss the ball going up and in or if the player leaps I get his feet and only half of his head.

I am looking at a Sigma 2.8 24 - 70 that will give me the range I need and is optically a better lens. I also need to have the confidence that I can shoot at f2.8 or so and get bright enough pictures. Shooting at f1.8 gives me such a shallow DOF that I get alot of shots where only part of the subject is in focus

As you said, practice, practice practice

Attached is a shot fron last week that I think I got (mostly) right.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and comments
Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:21 PM   #9

Yep... Great shot... Great action... Great color....

Hummm... Are you using a mono pod? I can't shot anything without some support.
Mono pods are a cheap way to help pictures. And you can poke people with it to get them out of the way...

Just kidding... I never poked anyone with my mono pod... OK a few times.
BUT THEY DESERVED IT !

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:38 PM   #10

no, I shoot hand held. I can typically get fast enough shutter speeds where my shaky hands arent much of a factor

You do raise a great point about additional uese for a mono pod. I may have to rethink the necessity of having one ......