Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:04 PM   #11
Super Moderator

you may watch your white balance... 1,2,4,6 are all off a bit..

if you do not do so already, you may walk down to the floor and do your cusom white balance from there, and then go back to your seat.. as the mix of lights may be different from your seat.. also, it is also more difficult as the light balance may be different in different parts of the gym based on whether there are any windows, etc shining in..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:34 PM   #12

Thanks for the advice as always.

I did set the white balance from my seat. Tomorrow I will try and set it from the floor.

The lighting is very weird in there. Raising the camera an inch can totally change the way the picture looks. Shifting the angle of the shot just marginally can also change the entire look. These were my first attempt at custom white balance in this gym.

Where I sit is definately darker than it is on the floor. In the second half of this game I set the camera to Tv instead of Av and set the shutter speed to 1/500 because alot of the pictures were too bright, too much reflection off the floor, etc.

I will post some pics from tonorrows game tomorrow!

Interestingly enough, the picture you like the most is clear at the other end of the gym and cropped heavily. The ones where you say the white balance is off are the closest to my seat, maybe 50 feet from the action.

David

davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:54 PM   #13

Very nice stuff!

Pic 1: A bit green but sharp and I love the content.

Pic 2: A bit soft, could be a little lighter (easily repairable). Again great content. Some strange lighting, #1's right arm and left forarm are green while the rest of her left arm looks fine - not meant as a criricism of your shooting - it jsut looks weird.

Pic 3: This touches on the art side of photography. The lines of all their arms pointing or reaching to the same point appeals to the human eye without consciousness. Cool. You got a much better picture than the photographer in the photo. The sharp background is distracting, something a little computer work would easily fix. This would also work as a horizontal, cropping just above the waist.

Pic 4: This needs cropping either as a horizontal (eliminate the top 20% of the pic) or as a very tight vertical. A bit blue.

Pic 5: This one you could have left out. Subject is out of focus, background is in focus and busy - very distracting.

Pic 6: Good action but the high angle hurts this one a little.

Pic 7: Nice action and expression. A touch soft.

Please consider that my criticism are very nitpicking - this is a very good set of shots.

If the basketball court is evenly lit you should consider shooting in manual mode. Just check you exposure info from you best shot while you were in TV mode and set them (ss & f-stop) manually.

Can you give us all the tech info? Camera (Canon?), Lens, ISO, SS, f-stop and light balance? Do you have a computer and if so what editing program do you have?

Looking forward to the next set.

Africa
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:32 AM   #14
Super Moderator

the problem with setting an exposure in manual mode from a best shot, is that you are only going to get a correct exposure if the other shot are similar.. for example if you set your manual exposure with a scene that has 3 ppl with dark jerseys on and then you go and shoot a shot with only 1 player in a white jersey, then you are going to be off..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 4:02 AM   #15

Sorry my friend but you are wrong.

What is important in photography and exposure is how much light is ON the subject not how much is reflecting off of them.

If I have a player in a white uniform at mid court and my exposure is 1/500 @ f2.8 and then three players wearing dark uniforms step into the same place my exposure will be exactly the same - because there is the same amount of light on the subject.

The problemn you stated is exactly the opposite - this situation is MORE likely to be a problem with any autormatic mode. The meter can be fooled by the amount of light reflecting off the subject but the amont of light has not changed snd therefor a correct exposure will be exactly the same.

Africa
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:32 AM   #16

These shots were taken with a Canon Digital Rebel XT using a Canon 100mm f2 lens

The software I use is PIcasa and Imagenomic's Noiseware Professional (Dustin, stop grinding your teeth :|)

Image 1:1/640, f2.2, Av mode. custom w/b

Image 2: 1/800, f2.5, Av mode, custom w/b

Image 3: 1/320, f2.2, Av mode, custom w/b

Image 4: 1/1000, f2.2, Av mode, Custom w/b

Image 5: 1/400 f2.2, Av mode, custom w/b

Image 6: 1/500, f2.8, Tv mode, custom w/b

Image 7: 1/500, f2.0, Tv mode, custom w/b

All images were shot at ISO1600 and are cropped

Again, I will set my white balance from the floor today and see what that does. I think I will shoot in both Av and Tv modes and play with the settings a little. I dont suppose it would hurt to try a few shots in full manual to see what I get out of that. Maybe I will shoot the warm ups in full manual and when I get home, I can take a look at them and see what that gives me

A word on the lighting: If you look at image 6 and image 7, they were shot very very close to the same spot on the floor but the lighting is quite a bit different. They were both shot in Tv mode and look at the aperature setting the camera chose ....

Thy gym is an old WW2 Quonset hut/aircraft hanger. There are windows one end of the building that are painted over. If someone opens them, then some ambient light is introduced but not alot

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:27 AM   #17

Green out, dodging & burning, slight crop, blah, blah, blah. africa.
Attached Images