Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:12 PM   #1

Thanks in advance for indulging me in a long post. The coach of one of the local university teams is a friend. Our kids play on the same team and I have given him a couple of really nice shots of his son playing. As university sportsare not covered as well as they are in other locals (ie barely), there are few shots of his team in action. He asked if I would take some of the team and I was more than happy to - fun to practice and learn more.

In particular, he wanted a shot of a 5th year player - great guy who has contributed much to the team - which he wanted to use to make a plaque with (8x10) as part of a career completion gift. Therefor I wanted a really good shot. Unfortunatly, the game I shot was likely the only home game left that I would be able to get to given my schedule, so I am likely left with only shots from that game.

The following pics are all of Jon and I was wondering which one people think would make the best one. The first is my favourite in terms of "pose" - full body shot, in action, shows the name and number well, the crowd in the background, the team logo just behind him - but it's not in great focus (the second isa full resolution detail from it). I can tweak it a bit more, but it's still not going to be the sharpest. The rest are generally sharper, but are missing some of the other things I like.

(The last reinforced the benefit of background. The bleachers are only on one side of the court and while, when shooting kids games, the bleachers never really matter, on this pic it looks like he's at practice, not a game so this one is out as a permanent memento.)

In the end, it is the coach who will make the decision and he isn't as likely to be as concerned about perfect sharpness so I suspect he'll go with the first one. (As another aside this isn't a paid job - the only deal I asked for is that I will be reimbursed for printing costs - our university sports aren't funded that well either and I'd rather he spend any $ on the team, not me.)

Anyway, my general question is, what do you think of the shots?, would you go with the first, or go with one of the others which are sharper? or do you like one of the others more for other reasons? Is it just my ego that makes me hesitate when the it isn't all perfect?

Thanks again.

Kevin
Attached Images

klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:12 PM   #2

detail from 1
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:12 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:13 PM   #4

3 I kinda like the action here, but don't show as much of Jon.
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:13 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:14 PM   #6

Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:15 PM   #7

6 Not really for consideration, but to me the bland background really emphasises how much the crowd adds to a sports picture.
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:53 PM   #8

I think the first shot is the best one, but you need to crop out the elbow of somebody else's on the right side.

Unfortunately this player tends to make odd faces, so some of the shots show an an unpleasing facial expression.

Under the circumstances described, I would have taken about 100 photos to come up with a few candidates for 8x10's.

How many shots did you take of him?

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:11 PM   #9

I took about 50 or 60 of him. Unfortunately, I took almost all of the shots from the baselines, or very close to them. I've done OK from there for kids games - easy to isolate the guards coming up with ball and you can get drives from the wings coming right at you (the centers are harder - limited sustained contact with the ball and usually in a crowd, can face any way - harder to predict).

I wish I had moved up closer to centre for more shots of him - more from the side, than from the baseline. It wouldn't have mattered as much if there wereseats behind the baselines but since there was only a wall in the background, I really didn't like those shots. I hadn't realized the difference in impact the crowd makes- you learn a bit every time.

What I have been finding interesting is that frequently, players make an unusual face which you can see repeatedlyin several shots if taken at a similar moment in driving or shooting.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:39 AM   #10

I think your first post is the way to go, despite the lack of absolute sharpness. Chuck it throught photoshop and you could improve that significantly and, as you say, the coach won't be looking for the most perfect photo technically, but the best action shot. I've sharpened your original image up and think it would be more than passable.

Nice set of shots.
Attached Images

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote