Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:22 AM   #1

Thought folks on this forum would enjoy and appreciate this site.

There is a lot there, so put it in your favorites and return at your leasure.

Africa

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/:evil:
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:59 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Africa..... how about some real shots taken by you!!!! We have all seen your views and edits of other peoples work, but it would be good to see what you are able produce yourself.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3

I agree. I would love to see some of your work.
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:19 PM   #4

What?! You didn't see my stuff on the SI site?

I knew this day was coming.

I'm going to eat a big salad, I'll be right back.

Meanwhile you can check this post, it's my work, but I want to explain that I had nothing to do with the order the pictures are in - which is very frustrating! If you want them to flow better, and make sense, after clicking on the first photo use the numeric listing to view them in this order:
17 4 18 22 23 15 16 11 27 9 24 3 19 28 10 6 12 33 32 7 26 25 2 8 20 31 29 1 13 14 30 5 21 34

http://ia.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=13074

Under FALL 2005 click the Go at the end of the listing -
Photo Gallery: Sun Bowl 2005: UCLA vs. Northwestern (12/30)

Africa

Here's a riddle to solve after you've seen my stuff.

As a bonus you get to try
a funny little game...
See if you can figure out why
I chose my digicam name?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:46 AM   #5

Here's one of my favs from the UTEP-Tex Southern basketball game, full frame.
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:56 AM   #6

Cropped.
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:03 AM   #7

Can't really figure out this sizing for da internet.
Lowered the res to make a bigger image cause I want you to see his face.

Africa
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2006, 5:18 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Hi Africa,

Not looking too shabby. What set up do you use (camera, lens etc)?

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:08 PM   #9

WOW, you actually believed that was my stuff? I love the internet! Well then, let me continue...

My personal digital set up includes:

Canon 20D - love this puppy.
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 - the best off-brand in its category, holds its own with manufacturers lenses.
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 - a category buster, this is simply a great lens.
Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4 - Doesn't handle flare at all, sharpeness is a question mark for me, so far I'm disapointed with this choice.

After freelancing for the university for years (the web page link I included) they finally decided to hire me (just started Monday of this week) so instead of using my stuff I get to abuse their cameras: a complete all-Canon set up.

Canon 20D
80-200mm f2.8 L (non-IS)
24-70mm f 2.8 L
16-35mm f2.8 L - this is the one lens where I can see a real difference between my off-brand, money-saving stuff, and the L series.

The basketball pic was shot with a 20D & the Sigma 70-200.

The link to this seasons' Sun Bowl football game was mostly shot with the 20D and a borrowed 75-300mm f4-5.6 Canon lens. Since I had a day time game I though I'd use a longer, albiet slower lens, but that was BIG mistake.

I knew it wouldn't be as sharp as my Sigma but I was surprised how soft it was when pushed all the way out to 300mm. I've never spent so much time post processing daylight pics shot at 200 ISO at f5.6. I wouldn't recommend this lens to anyone, even on a budget. If there is one thing you can't afford it's a BAD lens. I understand Canon had recently redsigned this lens.

Well, I got a little off subject! Ranting & raving...

Africa

BTW most of the sunlight shots are ISO 200, f5.6, ss 500. Once the shade took over the field I increased the ISO to 800/1600.

I think it's time to reveal my bluff, here's a pic that didn't make the web page.

ISO 1600, ss 500ish, f-5.6ish. It was a horizontal, cropped, background blurred, desaturated and darkened, players were sharpened with slight increase in contrast and brightness.
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2006, 3:03 PM   #10

Here's another link to some of my stuff, sports related but not action sports.

A little history for those who may not know. The movie Glory Road is about coach Don Haskins and his 1966 Texas Western team (now The University of Texas at El Paso), which was the first team to win the NCAA National Championship with a all-black starting line-up.
They deafeated No.1 ranked (all-white) Kentucky for the title and that game is considered the turning point for blacks being recruited by schools in the deep south. In retrospective it has become a focal point in our social/racial history. Haskins is in the Basketball Hall of Fame, he won 719 games and made 15 NCAA tournament appearances in 38 years at UTEP.

1966 was a year that fell in the middle of two great movements in the US, the movement against racial inequality and the Vietman War. At times it was frieghtening to live in the US with protests and rioting for both those causes. That's part of what made the all-black starting lineup significant.

This year is the 40th anniversary of that team and with the movie coming out that chronicals the event, El Paso and the university have gone crazy. The movie premiered here with all the leading actors, director and producer joining the '66 team and coach Haskins. The street in front of the Haskins Center (12,000-seat basketball arena) was renamed Glory Road, a new Wheaties box was unveiled, several hugh book signings at the Barnes and Noble and of course the movie premier (three showings a month before the public release). It was crazy but it kept me busy and went a long way in the univesity's decision to hire me.

The link is an event I covered, "A Night with Haskins", where a local TV sports reporter sat down in an 'Actors Studio' setting to interview the now retired and much loved Haskins. I knew he would be seated the whole time and although he had some great stories to tell, I was worried about trying to make something visually interesting out a what essentially was talking head. Now I'll see what others think.

All photos with the 20D, Sigma 70-200 & Canon 16-35: with some variations - ISO 1600, ss 125, f-4, and WB tweaked to plus six blue or there abouts.

http://ia.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=13074

Once opened go under 'Spring 2006' the second listing - "An Evening with Don Haskins."

Come to think of it, the first listing was a book signing at the university bookstore that I covered.

In these situations I believe it is my job to give a sence of the "feeling" at the event not to just take pictures of the person. Can I, a still photographer, without sound or movement, make the viewer feel like they were there? If so I've suceeded.

Do you think photographers will read this much?

Africa

If go see the movie you MUST stay for the all credits! BTW you can brag that you recognized coach Haskins as the gas station attendant. I highly recommend the movie and both Ebert & Roper gave it thumbs up.

Here's another BB pic. ISO 3200, SS 500, f-4.
Attached Images