Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:55 PM   #21

Hey did you do this photo in Adobe photo 7.0 is called layers....My wife uses this program all the time is it very hard to do this type of editing....could you please explain how to do this in the software....Thank you
RICHANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:30 PM   #22

The info is:

Canon Digital Rebel XT, Canon 85mm f1.8 lens, shot in manual mode, 1/500 shutter speed, f2,2auto white balance, multi segment metering, hand held, no tripod ISO 1600

Cropped and adjusted in Picasa and ran through Noiseware
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:39 AM   #23

So was it hard to do the layering....color to black and white..can you elaborate just a little bit more ...
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:02 PM   #24

ah. I didnt do that, Africa did it .....

Thats beyond my capabilities at the moment
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:34 AM   #25

Nice Shots, and nice edits!:-D I especially like the combined black and white and color pic!!
HOKIEGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:25 AM   #26

Richana,

There are multiple methods for changing a color photo to black and white. There are probably multiple ways to achieve the color affect as well. The method I use most often is to do my BW conversion as a layer (I use photoshop) and use a layer mask (reveal all so the whole image has black and white). Then with the 'mask' icon highlighted you use a black brush to 'paint over' the mask and hide the areas where you want the bw layer hidden and the color to show through. You can use the various selection tools ahead of time to select the part of your image you want to paint (with an area selected you can just swag the brush broadly without getting too fine). Invariably though you will need to zoom in quite a bit to do the fine editing and make sure the right things show through as color and everything else is b&w. How fine depends on how the image will be viewed or printed.

If you have Photoshop or photoshop Elements, I highly recommend the books by Scott Kelby... "Photoshop xxx for digital photographers" (where xxx is the particular product you have). The books are really very good. There are several different bw conversion methods described as well as using layers and painted masks and a lot of other very useful techniques.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:23 AM   #27

JohnG, Need help

Thx for the info on B&W....do you have any suggestions on what I should do to get sharper images of my daughter playing basketball...I have a rebel XT , and shoot with a 85mm F/1.8 and here are my settings using a light meter...

ISO 1600

Shutter 250

Aperture 1.8

AF AI Servo, and have move around on all 3 settings with no improvement...

WB- Custom and AWB , neither seems to improve clearness

No Flash,,, the lighting is pretty good in this gym..plus I want to learn without flash at first.

No Tripod

Still are getting noise and some blurr what am I doing wrong?? I'm shooting basketball pic's @ about 15-25' on the Average....please help what else could I be doing or not doing to cause blur pic's.... and I am holding very still. Or at least I think I am......
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:40 AM   #28

Richana,

Please start a new thread and post some of your pictures. I'll be very curious to see them - ISO 1600, 1/250 at f1.8 doesn't sound like very good lighting at all. Shutter speeds of 1/250 are going to be very difficult to freeze action consistantly with and 1.8 is very shallow dof so focus is going to be a challenge. Start a thread with examples and I'm sure the members here can provide some specific things to try. David should be able to provide a wealth of helpful suggestions as he's been shooting basketball with a 1.8 and recently gone through many of the challenges your facing and in the same sport.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote