Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:46 PM   #1

Greetings all!

I don't think I've ever posted in this "sports and action photos" section before... but there has always got to be a first time, right... :-)

There was a middle aged man with a young boy (I believe his grandson... or maybe a nephew, or maybe he's got a young wife.... and it's just his wife!) Anyway, they were on a frozen lake (covered with snow on top of the ice) andas I walked along the park path nearby, I saw them clearing some of the snow, to reveal the ice underneath.

Then 2 other boys (a bit older than theyoung boy) came along, talked a bit to me and then joined helping the man clear the snow. Then in turns they all did some sliding along the ice, and had a great time. As I'm originally from Australia I find such winter fun (here in Romania) quite amusing, so time to catch it with my camera (Canon digital Rebel XT / 350D) using my 28-135mm lens.

#1 - clearing the snow for an icy path ....

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:48 PM   #2

#2 so first the man shows us how it's done (he's obviously a pro at this sort of thing from way back... actually I was quite impressed with his balance and speed! He could slide along about 10 metres without falling!!!)

Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:49 PM   #3

#3 - then the young boy is helped by the man (his grandfather, uncle, father, whatever) to learn this fine art of speed and balance (and 100% fun!)
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:51 PM   #4

#4 - then one of the 2 boys who joined later does some very cool slides (no pun intended). Actually this is by far my favourite photo of this event... you can see the boy is having fun and he really enjoyed different ways of sliding and gliding...
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:52 PM   #5

#5 and of course the other boy / 2nd friend joined too, but he wasn't quite so brave or co-ordinated... still he tried well! (here you can see he almost lost balance and fell... but thankfully he didn't .. that ice is hard stuff I believe....)
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:55 PM   #6

#6 finally... a sort of "still life" to end story, in this sports / action forum (is this allowed?!) ... I couldn't help but notice the sledge remaining in the snow during all this fun. And I've often noticed that (grand)parents will often walk home their tired (grand)children after the children have been exhausted by too much snow / winter fun! It's quite hilarious as they walk along footpaths in winter using this as a sort of means of transport for exhausted kids!!

Hope you liked these photos.... any feedback welcome!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:49 PM   #7

Nice shots, I like the first one the best.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:33 AM   #8

Thanks for your thoughts, Terry... much appreciated... though I am interested why you liked that first picture best(was it because it shows more the "setting"?)

Have a good weekend,

Paul
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:46 AM   #9

Very nice, the smiles show they are having a great time. I remember doing this when I was younger, as I have gotten older I find I don't bounce "ouch" so good anymore.:G

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:47 AM   #10

Ahhh Bob, you're funny!!! I guess it's truechildren seem to be able to bounce through most situations like that, as LONG as their having fun (maybe the cold numbs the senses too a bit!) :blah:

Do you get cold enough temperatures there in Indiana for a lot of ice / frozen lakes? (excuse my ignorance of Indianan winters, but I do believe the summers are quite warm, right?)

Thanks again for your comments, Bob! Yes, their smiles do tell the story.

Paul