Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:22 AM   #1

Here's a couple of pics of yesterdays game. I am not to happy with the results though. I think the main problem is the auto white balance.

I used the Canon 20D camera and the Canon 85mm 1.8 lens

You can see the rest of them here:
http://www.robspics.com/psu/basketball

Attached Images

RadioControlGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:23 AM   #2

second
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:24 AM   #3

third
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:07 AM   #4

These are very good shots.

Most people contributing to this forum would be very, very happy with these results.

I personally don't see any major problem with the white balance, however you can correct the white balance by using software.

The software lets you pick the area of the photograph that should be "white" and corrects everything around it.

You can use RAWSHOOTER (free program) to correct the white balance on RAW images, and other major programs like Photoshop Elements let's you correct white balance on a JPEG.

What camera settings did you use on these shots?

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:52 PM   #5

Thanks Terry!

These were my camera settings:

ISO: 800
Shutter 1/640 to 1/800
Aperture: 1.8 to 2.0

I guess I am dissapointed that the images look to "cold" to me. I would like them to bne a little warmer. I have very little knowledge abyt PS, so maybe there is something there that can make it warmer.

terry@softreq.com wrote:
Quote:
These are very good shots.

Most people contributing to this forum would be very, very happy with these results.

I personally don't see any major problem with the white balance, however you can correct the white balance by using software.

The software lets you pick the area of the photograph that should be "white" and corrects everything around it.

You can use RAWSHOOTER (free program) to correct the white balance on RAW images, and other major programs like Photoshop Elements let's you correct white balance on a JPEG.

What camera settings did you use on these shots?

-- Terry
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:45 PM   #6

In RAWSHOOTER you can bring up the saturation, which would help a little.

I think the 20D tends to bring out the cold and blue.

I've noticed some Nikons tend to produce a little warmer color out of camera.

It's all what your used to I suppose.

My shots get printed black and white so I don't get too hung up about the color.

My only suggestion would be to shoot at ISO1600 and maybe shoot at 1/250th or 1/500th.

Hey, your doing great!

-- Terry

Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:45 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips Terry! I increased the color saturation, and now I am happier with the results! Here's an example that I think looks nicer:

Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:23 AM   #8

Yup, your rocking!

Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:30 AM   #9

Great shots!!!

I just purchased my 20D and I hope I can get shots as good as these.

RP33
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:26 PM   #10

Great action and sharpness. I agree with Terry in that the WB isn't bad. Some of the problems in gyms have been discussed on this board previously. When bulbs are changed in the gyms, they don't always use the same ones as in the other fixtures, therefor there may be several different colour temperatures and when players move from one area to another are lit differently.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As well, as the pwer cycles at 60 Hz, a player may just be moving in an area predominantly lit by one bulb, and if the power is on an off cycle (or whatever the electrical term is), it is a bit dimmer and the colour cast changes a bit. I especially noticed this when taking pictures of Xrays on a viewing box. If I took them at faster than 1/60, one or both of the flourescent bulbs would be on a dimmer cycle. Both the intensity of the light and the colour temperature were quite different. In a big gym with lots of lights, it averages out a bit more, but there are still dark spots possible.

Your correction is good. Another thing you can do is apply a warming filter in PS. I find it makes things look better, especially in gyms with cool lighting, even if I've used custom WB (Custom WB can help alot as well if you are shooting in JPEG - but as Terry points out, RAW allows more correction later).

I just applied the Warming filter to this one. You could still adjust the saturation, but the warming filter mutes the green cast on the ball handlers arm.

Attached Images

klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote