Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:16 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Angel - that is exactly the result you are looking for and a nice shot by the way. I would go with f2 or just slightly higher in daylight also. It will allow faster shutter speeds and lower ISO so you should get really sharp results.

Just looked at the spec for your camera and it does have Aperture priority so use this to set it at f2 for example and then it will choose the correct shutter speed..... be warned that your camera only seems to have max shutter speed of 1/1000 so make sure that it is not over exposing. Have a play and let us see what you get.:|

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:49 AM   #12

Thought the pitching pics needed cropping but the content is good. Night shot is green.

1st catcher pic is boring, second isn't much better. You'll have to get the catcher talking to his pitcher, getting signals from the coach or making a play at home.

Batter pic is good accept for that depth of field, the horizon is a bit crooked.

1616 is on the Mark about the DoF and aperture. Don't know if that Brit knows anything about baseball but he knows his f-stop from his t-stop. (I wonder if he'll look that up?):?:

Keep up the good work, keep shooting and watch out for foul balls.

Africa

I cropped all the images to a 4x6 print size/ratio.
Attached Images

Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:52 AM   #13

How did I do 3 posts? and how do I delete the last two?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:52 AM   #14

Thought the pitching pics needed cropping and the night shot was green.

Africa
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:58 AM   #15

Mark,

I use IRFANVIEW, but I'm too lazy to download the photos to analyze their settings.

Usually it's good for the author to give us the camera settings with the photo, so it saves the reveiwer a step..

Good results from that Sony.

Yup, wider aperture will decrease the depth of field.

In some cases you want to blur the background and in other cases not.

I tend to use shutter priority, but I always have my eye on the aperture.

Shooting at too wide an aperture can result in such a narrow depth of field that it can be tough to keep the athlete in focus.

For instance, an F1.8 at a long focal length may have a depth of field of only a few feet (meter or less for metric folks), which means if the pitcher is pitching, they could move through the depth of field from windup to pitch release.

I usually err on the side of caution and shoot F2.8, but it is worth taking the risk sometimes to shoot wider than F2.8 and know that for a few shots there may be focus problems.

Nothing for free when sports shooting.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:42 PM   #16
Super Moderator

terry@softreq.com wrote:
Quote:
Mark,

I use IRFANVIEW, but I'm too lazy to download the photos to analyze their settings.

That's why I use IEXIF, it will work from any pic anywhere, just right click in the browser and that is it..... LOL. I know what you mean about posting setting though :G

Africa - I tried to find t-stop and guess it should be tee stop, but could not get meaning on Google..... yup, you were right, Brit know nothing about baseball (well I know enough to enjoy watching it when it is on TV. Go on, put me out of my misery!!
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:13 AM   #17

Mark,

I'm glad you are a Brit because if you were an American living in England that baseball joke wouldn't have worked.

I tried to google t-stop and also came up with nothing, which has me wondering if my memory has failed me. :?:

But here is what I think I remember???

An f-stop is the ratio between the focal length of the lens and the opening of the aperture so in terms of light transmission, f-8 on a 50mm lens is the same as f-8 on a 100mm lens, although the opening size will be different.

That's where the term t-stop comes into play, the t-stop is the actual size of the aperture opening (measured across the opening). So the t-stop on a 50mm lens set at f-8 is half the size of the t-stop on a 100mm lens at f-8.

Well that definition will do until someone corrects me or until I can get to my college text book at school.

Now it's your turn to teach me. What is IEXIF? I know it gives you the technical info of a photo but is it a stand alone program? Where in the cyber world does it exist? Do I have access to it in PS? I'm not going to google it, I'm too busy learning curves:lol:.

Thanks, Africa
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:57 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Hey Africa,

You can get IEXIF at http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.htmlbut not sure if it works in Photoshop, but does work in Explorer and is great to see settings used. All you do is right click on an image and IEXIF is an option inthe menu.

Thanks for your t-stop explanation.

Mark
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:15 AM   #19

I downloaded IEXIF and it works as advertised.

Now I can see what settings people are using on the fly.

Thanks, Mark!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:07 PM   #20
Super Moderator

No problem at all. Only thing is, all of the Exif in my pics get stripped when I work on them (I use PSP7) need to finda way so that it is kept. Any thoughts?