Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:34 PM   #1

First time shooting MX with my D50, pretty pleased, shot these with a $150 Tokina 28-300 lens stopped down to F11 for sharpness(makes DOF too big though), ISO 800, AP Mode, hope you enjoy!

These are just a few of the 150 I uploaded, If you like to photograph action, I can't think of a much better place to go than a MX race, it is nonstop, and you are only a few feet away!
newdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:07 PM   #2

great pics, like no 1 you can almost smell the exaust fumes i used to marshall for motocross so i know how close you can be to the action keep sharing
godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:28 PM   #3

Great shots. My favorite is the third one. I had to look at the last two a couple of times before I realized they were two seperate shots:?. Good work!
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:35 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Nice!! Number one is the one for me. I would bring the f stop down a bit though to close in on your subject and make the image 'pop' more. It will also allow you do bring the ISO down helping with grain/slight softening.

Looking forward to seeing the results from the next event.

Mark.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:02 PM   #5
knd

number 1 is perfect.
one question
"F11 for sharpness(makes DOF too big though)"
with higher F stop you get more sharpness....why? (i know it takes more sharp, but technical reason...)
knd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

knd wrote:
Quote:
number 1 is perfect.
one question
with higher F stop you get more sharpness....why? (i know it takes more sharp, but technical reason...)
To an extent yes. You will find that most lenses are a little soft when at the wides end of their aperture unless you have spent a lot of money on your kit. For example you will often find a 70-300mm zoom with a max aperture of f5.6 at the long end will have a sweet spot of f8 where it is quite a lot better than f5.6. I see the same with my 70-200 f2.8 in that f4 is incredibly sharp and you can't fault it, where as at 2.8 there is a little softness to be seen. I am not the most technically minded when is comes to this, but believe that is the light at different frequencies are refracted more by being wider so they don't all hit the sensor/film at the desired point. I could be completely wrong and would like to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:38 PM   #7

This is a sport I would like to shoot more. Shot these guys flying over tractor trailers and put this together.

D2H 400mm 2.8 AFS II
Attached Images

Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:22 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Castle that is stunning work..... I would love to be able to produce something even a quarter as good. Can you give me some idea of how you did this?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:01 AM   #9

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
knd wrote:
Quote:
number 1 is perfect.
one question
To an extent yes. You will find that most lenses are a little soft when at the wides end of their aperture unless you have spent a lot of money on your kit. For example you will often find a 70-300mm zoom with a max aperture of f5.6 at the long end will have a sweet spot of f8 where it is quite a lot better than f5.6. I see the same with my 70-200 f2.8 in that f4 is incredibly sharp and you can't fault it, where as at 2.8 there is a little softness to be seen. I am not the most technically minded when is comes to this, but believe that is the light at different frequencies are refracted more by being wider so they don't all hit the sensor/film at the desired point. I could be completely wrong and would like to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me.

The lens I am using was only $150 on Ebay, so it isn't the sharpest by any means, in testing I found good sharpness at F/11..
newdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:53 PM   #10

Thanks, Mark.

I use Photoshop CS. I average 30-35 layers using different blend modes. This particular design only has 21 layers.

I used custom brushes to create the lightning effect and a custom shape for the tower lights. For smoke I used a photo of some kids burning rubber and finally added the fans from a top fuel drag race photo. I changed the perspective of the skyline photo as well.

I use the radial blur filter to create the streaks. Hope this helps.

Castle is offline   Reply With Quote