Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:49 PM   #1

Just been experimenting with my dslr and was wondering if you guys could tell me what i need to do to get clear action shots?Thanks!
Straylightrun00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:09 PM   #2

What type of action your trying to shoot?
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:11 PM   #3

Muay thai, MMA training and stuff like boxing.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:06 PM   #4

Your probably going to want to "freeze" the action.

I suggest setting your camera to shutter priority, shutter speed 1/250th a second.

Also, you may have to play around with the ISO (sensitivity) if the light is low, and you still want to be able to achieve 1/250th a second shutter speed.

In very low light situations I set the ISO to ISO1600 or ISO3200.

-- Terry
Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:08 PM   #5

Alrighty, well there¬*definitely is a lot of light, and I get confused does the display of 1/250 show up as 25oo?¬* Also, do you have an example of a frozen action pic?Thanks Terry!¬*
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:20 PM   #6

I don't know what camera you are using so I'm not sure how it would show up.

Your camera manual would explain where the shutter speed shows up and how it is displayed, and how you can set it.

Here is an example of a frozen shot:

Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:17 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Hi,

I notice that you are running this in 2 sections of the forum so will stick to posting here, as this is where you will find most of the sports photographers (however, I will reply in relation to both of your sections.

Personally I would say that Terry's 1/250 is a little slow and as you can see, the closest runner to the camera shows blurring on his left hand as the shot is not completely frozen Terry :blah::lol::blah:.

I personally find that anything slower than 1/500 is too slow and I shoot sport nearly always in aperture priority (as does Grant in the other thread), where Terry goes for shutter priority. The reason I use Av is that I can control the depth of field and will always get the fasted shutter speed possible (when doing this, I do keep my eye on the shutter to be sure that it is not getting to slow or approaching the max for my camera. I do use Tv (shutter priority) when I want to get movement in the image (usually when shooting vehicles) and example is below.

As Grant says, it is about getting the shutter speed, aperture and ISO you want and balancing them out. The only way that you will get the exact answer you need is to try it out. Each time I shoot a new sport and/or shoot in a new venue I have to play with the settings to get the shots I want. When it comes to a new sport then it is about working on technique to get the timing and framing right.

Go and have a play and let us see what you get.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:44 PM   #8

Yes very helpful, I am using a Nikon D200 btw.¬* Also, my shutter speed ranges from 25oo-25-1.3 just kind of confused.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:52 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Hmmmmm...... nice toy!!!! With the right lens you will will be able to get some great shots with this.

Looking forward to seeing them.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:11 AM   #10

You might also want to consider that with the length of the lens you use - the longer the lens, the faster the shutter speed required to freeze the action. I give you an example below where I had to use 1/500 or faster to freeze the action because I was using a 300mm lens. As always, It's all about catching the right moment...

Sometimes completely frozen pics lack something depending on what you are taking shots of. What you want to do is have it just slightly slower and that will catch moving action - very much like the little girl on thebuggy above.

Attached Images

StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote