Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 11, 2006, 6:52 AM   #1

a few from last night's sectional game:

The throw was just slightly off target here...

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 8:51 AM   #2

I especially like #2; it captures the grace and speed of the female athlete . Somebody may complain about the spectator in the background, but I've shot a few softball games myself, and there isn't much you can do about that; it goes with the sport. Since you have to shoot through, over or around the fence, your choice of locations is limited, unless you have access to the field. Nice work.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 11:09 AM   #3

Tmilner,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I do, in fact, have field access, but that doesn't change anything for many of these shots. I can't be at both baselines at the same time, so invariably you have to shoot across the field and the fence is right there - as well as the people behind it. Too bad I can't shoot from behind the home plate ump - that would get me some great shots

It's the sad nature of H.S. sports that backgrounds are so ugly - still better than little league with cars added to the mix. The best you can do is shoot wide open and blur the background as much as possible. Still a 1dkMk IIN and a 400mm 2.8 would certainly help in that regard - got $10,000 you'd like to give me :G

Old May 11, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4

John,

Once again nice pictures! I often wonder how many pictures you have taken to get the ones you have posted.

Aaron Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 8:30 AM   #5

Aaron Bell wrote:
Quote:
John,

I often wonder how many pictures you have taken to get the ones you have posted.

Aaron, the ones I post are the only ones I take. 100% keeper rate - honest

How many pictures I take at a game depends on 2 things:

1) What is my goal - just for paper, for practice or for parents? If I'm shooting for parents, my number of shots will easily double since it's tough to predict what someone will want.

2) how good are the shooting conditions

3) what action is going on that is in my field of view. As an example, the game I shot last night - the one 1st base coach moves all over the place so when I was shooting from the first base line (right handed batters, shots of shortstop or thirdbaseman) this guy was constantly getting in my way.

I generally shoot around 250 shots but sometimes upwards of 500. From that, I've improved to where 70% are in good focus (not always great, but I shoot at 2.8 so a little mistake makes a difference). From that, I'll probably cull another 20-30% because they are completely uninteresting(eyes closed, strange gait in a run sequence, etc) or duplicates of another shot that's better.Then I'll cull out more that aren't as sharp as I'd like them. That's why I take so many shots - so I can pick and choose. Out of 250 shots, I'll generally end up with around 75-80 that I keep.

Old May 12, 2006, 10:54 AM   #6

John,

Do you shoot for the Akron Beacon Journal? And what setting do you use to keep the 2.8? I hope you understand the question as I'm new to the photo world. Thanks! :|
Aaron Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 11:45 AM   #7

The Beacon Journal does not use freelance photographers. In fact, when I offered up some work from a football game involving an Akron team and the team I was shooting they didn't even want to look at it. The only freelance work they will accept is for a news event when they can't get someone there in time.

I shoot freelance for a community paper - very small, very low key. I shoot as much or as little as I want. It really is a great way to improve. That freelance aspect gets me field access forall regular seasonevents. Playoffs are a little trickier - most venues will limit field or court access to credentialed press members only (small paper and me just a freelancer means I don't have credentials). When you get more comfortable with your equipment, if you really want to keep at sports photography, I would highly recommend looking into doing freelance work for a small local paper. The major city papers are a little different. If I and the Journal guy take the same exact shot for instance - the 1d Mark II N and 400mm 2.8 photo is STILL going to look a lot better than mine. I'm not minimizing his better skill or experiencehere, it's just a fact - the focus ability of a 1-series camera and the focus speed, reach and bokeh of the Canon primes is the standard for pro sports shooting - and for good reason.

As far as keeping the lens at 2.8, that's why the camera gods invented aperture priority mode. I set it to 2.8 and adjust my ISO to get the shutter speeds I want/need. I will then use Exposure compensation (EC) to compensate for strong shadows on faces. I can dial in a higher f-stop if I want to shoot a group (and then frequently forget to put it back to 2.8 for the next 20 shots :G)

I do most of my sports shooting in Av mode- unless it's a constant lighting situation where I will use manual mode or if I'm using flash I'll also use manual mode.