Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 14, 2006, 10:25 PM   #1

I finally remembered to watch the players after the shot.

(And he happens to be my son, so some extra pride involved in this one. He also scored the winner in the semi in the morning - a penalty shot after a 0-0 fulltime, two 5 minute overtimes, then 12 penalty kicks per side before the tie was broken.)

Kevin

Taken with a Rebel XT, Sigma 70-200 f2.8
Attached Images

klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 10:26 PM   #2

Some of the team.
Attached Images

Old May 14, 2006, 10:31 PM   #3

And the goalie who kept is in it during the semi. This one was taken during the penalty kicks after OT. I was able to prefocus and be ready. He also obliged by making several great stops.

Kevin
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2006, 9:31 AM   #4

Kevin,

Really like the 1st two shots - well done - great job of capturing the emotion.

Final shot is a little wide for my tastes - really emphasizes the van in the background (there are those backgrounds again). Nothing you can do about bluring the background given the lens and distance, so for this shot you have 2 options:

1. The shot doesn't require the goal posts as the net gives us context so if you pulled in on the left side it would help bring focus back to the play.

2. SHoot from closer to the goal at a sharper angle so you're shooting 45 degrees or so into the goal.

I think option 1 is the better option but focal length on the lens may make this difficult. If they'd just let you stand at midfield you could really bypass these problems :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 2:35 PM   #5

Love the 2nd shot. Can I ask you what were your settings for that shot...?

I have the Canon 350D (Rebel XT) and a Tamron 55-200/4-5.6 Di II LD lens. I have'nt taken any shot of my son playing football (soccer) yet, but I hope they turn out as good as yours.

Nice shots.
Jake the Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 7:07 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments. I agree with JohnG that I probably didn't need the goal posts - had thought they emphasized the size, buta crop looks better.

The second picture was taken at 1/800, f4, ISO 200. It was later afternoon with some cloud cover so helped in that there wasn't much for shadows.

Shooting as fast as you can is preferable. I use the f2.8 when I need to but the focus is a bit sharper at f4 and better and the DOF is at least a bit deeper so that the focus is a bit forgiving as the kids move, but still gives good background blur.

Kevin