Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:48 AM   #2

Attached Images

TWO2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:48 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:26 AM   #4

Really like shot # 1

Looks like you've gotten a lot of work out of the new lens!

Congratulations on your new mortgage, I mean lens :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:32 AM   #5

John,

I love looking at the shots that you take....What camera do you have? Are you always shooting manual? Just wondering what your settings are on some of your shots as they are very clear.....I take alot of my kids baseball and my shots are not as crisp as yours. Keep them photos coming!

Tammie

Tamsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:38 PM   #6

Tammie,

Not sure if you were directing this question to me or if TWO2956 also is named John.

If it's not me, please disregard :G

If you were directing the question to me - I say thank-you for the compliment.

I shoot with a Canon 20D and the same Sigma 120-300 2.8 lens TWO2956 is now using.

I prefer to shoot in Av mode - almost always at 2.8 with AI-Servo turned on and all focus points enabled with partial metering on (middle ground between evaluative and center weighted). I adjust ISO so I get shutter speeds of 1/1000 or better - preferably 1/2000 for high school baseball. The other thing I can't stress enough is using exposure compensation (EC) to force the camera to expose for faces - not for uniforms. The more shadows work or dodging you have to do to bring out faces the worse they look. It's better to blow the highlights on uniform pants or jerseys and have the face exposed. When you print them out - no one really notices. But there's a huge difference between being able to see a face and only seeing shadow. That aspect of it requires paying attention to changing lighting conditions and your histogram.

I also apply USM in photoshop to all my photos which helps.

Finally, shooting 2.8 helps. Just ask Two2956 how much more the images pop off the scren / paper when you have an image from 300mm and anaperture of 2.8. The downside is you have to work on your focus technique because with 2.8 you don't have a lot of margin for error.

It also helps to be shooting up rather than down at a subject - which means sitting or kneeling - you have a better chance of getting a face in the image.

But, I also have to say - the right lens makes a HUGE difference. It's not right to expect a $200 lens to produce as crisp of shots as a $2000 lens - especially not wide open. It also makes a huge difference to be able to fill the frame as much as possible with the image to begin with - rather than heavy cropping. Which means you need to be close enough to the action and/or have sufficient focal length so you don't have to crop.

If you're looking for more advice, just start another thread and we'd all be glad to help you out. Just don't want to hijack this one.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:35 PM   #7

:-)Just to straighten out a few things. I was'nt sure who Tam was talking to either. If it was John, I agree 100% as John's images impress and inspire me to work hard to be the best I can. Anyway.... My name is Bob and I have been a Contractor for25 yrs. and I have always loved photography. So... I'm working toward my 2nd professionas a sports photographer.

John,

I only used the new 120-300lens for the Little League photos. The rest were taken with my 70-200/2.8 which I feel is another excellent Sigma lens, and almost 1/2 the price of the nikon lenses. I am shooting with a Nikon D-200 and use pretty much the same settings you use w/your Cannon. Nikon and Cannon both make great cameras but I agree the lens make the difference.

Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:21 PM   #8

Well Guys I guess it was confusing.....In my mind I honestly didnt care if either or both of you responded as I keep watching your shots and learning.....I just LOVE them. I am not at all the quality of photographer that you both are so thank you soo much for the advice! I will keep shooting and trying your advice.

I would love to have the Cannon but my husband wants me to wait a little since I have the Minolta 5D and lenses etc...... As you both know switching will be a huge investment!

Thanks again and I will try to post something at some point.

Tammie

Tamsfam is offline   Reply With Quote