Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1

Greetings! I posted here during basketball season...I'm a portrait photographer who was asked to shoot this dynamo athlete nephew of mine throughout his various sports seasons. Learned a ton from your guys' tips on basketball photography, and a surprising amount I was able to apply to my other work.

So he's pitching tonight...is it absolutely crucial to be inside the fence? I don't shoot long very often and am just too afraid I won't see what's coming. Any tips on capturing good pitching shots from the fencelines are welcome!

I'd like to just take one lens from the car as someone here thankfully pointed out the dust issue. Which one? I have a 20D.

Canon 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 | Canon 17-85 f4/5.6 IS USM | Canon 50-200 f4/5.6 | Canon 75-300 f4/5.6 (assuming this is the one) | Tamron 70-200 f4/5.6 (72mm width lens)

Thanks in advance!

Lynne
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:52 PM   #2

No you do not have to be inside the fence, you can shoot through it also. What I do is set myself right next to the fence and shot through one of the "holes" in the fence. If you are using zoom then the angle at which you are actually taking the shot is only a few degrees wide and done right the fence will not be in the shot.

As for pitching shots, I love to take mine behind the back stop and over the umps shoulder, again framing the lens so that I am shooting through a hole that makes up the fence. Try to get as head on as you can.

The only games that I am inside the fence are the LL Softball and the minor leaguers (7 & 8 years Old). The big thing to remember is safety, YOURS. It may not seems like these kids can hit the ball hard but I know a 9 year old boy who I would not want to be on the receiving end of a foul ball.

Hope this helps

Phil
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:57 PM   #3

great suggestion! I really had not considered shooting "through" the fence. huge relief as I was skeptical about the shot angles I'd be able to get from where the fences are lower (usually beyond each dugout)

look forward to posting a few

do you agree the 75-300 would be my best setup?

lynne
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:42 PM   #4

The 75-300 would be the better choice IMO . Is the game under lights? You want to shoot with a shutterspeed of at least 500 and at least 1000 for the bigger faster boys.Move up the ISO to 800 to reduce blurr if you need to . Shoot a pitcher from the face side in burst mode if there is a screened backstop behind the catcher. Action shots are great in Baseball. If it starts geting a little dark you might want to shoot in aA mode to insure exposure. Shoot as tight as you can and still frame the image. Hope this helps.

Bob
TWO2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:50 PM   #5

I shoot with the following two lenses. Sigma 70-300 APO and a Sigma 170-500 APO. In your case I would go with the 70-300, a good all around choice. Have fun !
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:00 PM   #6

Probably too late for tonight's game. But, I find a great time to get shots of the pitcher is during his warm-ups between innings (i.e. when the field change occurs - pitcher usually has about 8 pitches or so). If you can get on the field you can get behind the catcher - and even if you can't, there isn't an ump or batter in the way. Since there isn't usually a fielder directly behind the pitcher you can't even tell it's not live action. It's the one position that's easy to get shots of.

Also, take shots from his 'open' side - i.e. from third base side if he's a right hander or 1st base side if he's a leftie.

Use servo mode and start the burst just before wind-up and through the follow-thru - usually about 7 shots or so.

Don't forget to show us what you come up with.

Here's some front-on shots - first 6 or so in the gallery:

http://www.jagsportsphotos.com/galle...230/1/68179995

Some profile shots starting here:

http://www.jagsportsphotos.com/galle...230/2/68185642

Have a blast!!!

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:49 AM   #7

Also, move around as the game progresses to take advantage of different angles, changes in lighting as sundown approaches.

You might try a few shots from "behind" and slightly above home plate and shoot with a burst mode.

This way, you may "freeze" the baseball just as your nephew releases it.

This would be a "keeper" :idea:

Very nice of you, btw, to give your nephew and his folks the gift of your time

and photo expertise!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:51 PM   #8

moved these to new thread

Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:55 PM   #9

moved to new thread
Old Jun 7, 2006, 7:07 PM   #10

Geeeez John... I kinda like the batter and ump in the photo. Makes ya feel like your in the game! :blah:BTW I answered a couple things in my last topic for ya

Bob
Attached Images

TWO2956 is offline   Reply With Quote