Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:36 PM   #1

I just got my KM 7D and a Tamron 28-300mm lens. These were taken about an hour before sunset last night. How am I doing. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:37 PM   #2

Here's another
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:59 AM   #3

Sail,

Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the Sports forum!

As for your first photos here:

The second photo is the best of the two, it's a nice composition and shows some action.

But both images seem soft - the first moreso. I'm not sure if it was a focus issue, a general characteristic of the lens you're using or just not being used to your new toy yet. Now, some of that can be helped by applying USM in your post processing - it's amazing how much that can aid a photo. But especially on photo 1 which isn't changing focal planes you should be able to get some sharper results out of camera.

The great news is: you're already practicing and judging by your screen name, practicing with a subject you really enjoy. Keep practicing and you'll get better quickly. Also, I'd suggest printing these out - then in 6 months compare the photos you're printing then to what you did now. If you're shooting regularly and continue to seek feedback you'll be surprised how much progress you'll have made.

Keep it up and enjoy your new toy!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the imput. It may be a focus problem because I took the pictures while on a Carolina skiff, so I'm moving while trying to take a photo of something else that's moving. I don't know the best way how to compensate for that yet.

I've been playing around with them in editing but I'm not sure yet what the right amount of correction is.I think us beginners have a tendency to overcorrect.