Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:49 AM   #1

Okay this kid has struggled with batting all season....You can see on his face that he totally just wants to kill this ball!
Attached Images

Tamsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:59 AM   #2

Here he is again......
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3

Tammie,

They're nicely timed shots. But, your stated purpose is to show emotion - but the batter's face is about 5% of the frame. So, from a timing perspective - good. From an emotion perspective you need a tight crop on the head/shoulders of the batter. Looks like you were in the stands, so given a 200mm lens that probably isn't possible. If you want to get emotion shots with the 200 you need to find a way to get closer. You've got some great ides for shots and you've got the equipment necessary to get them - now you just need to get yourself into the position to get them. Keep it up!!!

Even a crop like you had of the batter throwing his bat - at least that close would draw more attention to the face.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:48 PM   #4

John,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you and actually for the parents I did get closer crop of his face etc.....

I will keep at it.
Thank you for your help!

Tammie
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:30 AM   #5

I'd love to trade some hitting instruction with this kid for some photography instruction from some of you. My ultimate goal is to take a lifetime of sports play and translate it into sports photography.

I seasoned hitter sees many flaws in this poor kids swing. As mentioned, he struggled all season. Suggest he find someone to show him a better grip on the bat. He's grip is weak, and I'd suspect, the reason he's WAY late on the ball in picture two.

Translation, imagine holding a hammer BURIED in the palm of your hand. Now hit the nail. Doesn't work. You offset the hammer in your hand slightly running it at an angle from the palm to out to the index finger. The hammer is cradled more by the fingers than by the palm. That's how you get good wrist action and therefore bat speed and therefore power. In both of these pictures, the batter should already be getting the wrists into play. He is not. The wrists are dead and the swing is weak.

Great drill. Suggest he go in the outfield with the bat and swing. Release the bat as far as he can. Imagine standing at home plate and casting the bat out over the mound and over second base. At present, he wouldn't get the bat to second base. (arbitrary guess.) As he learns to grip the bat, using his fingers and getting more wrist action, he'll have his arms more extended at impact and the bat will fly way beyond second base and into center field.

Think of all those power pictures of Mark McGuire. This kid is never getting into that "extended" position. Slow bat, late on the ball, long season.

(BTW, for those who may not understand the mechanics, he looks so late in picture two, I suspect the ball came over to the 3rd base dugout.)

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:34 PM   #6

Nice batting tips! I actually used to coach my daughter in softball and well even my son one year... so I agree with your tips but much easier said then Done!

Thanks for the feedback.

Tammie