Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:29 PM   #1

All pictures taken with Konica-Minolta 5D in 'sports' mode.

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:13 AM   #2

Juzzie -

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I really like #3 - IMO it's the best shot in the bunch - well done.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"A couple easy things to fix for next time:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1. Watch your horizons - most of these shots are slanted - easily fixed in post processing (typically let horizontal or vertical lines in the background be your guide to setting levels)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2. Try not to crop out body parts - you've cut a couple feet out

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"3. Framing on 5 is strange - you've kept the goal keeper in the frame at a key visual focal point but because of the DOF he is completely blurred. Visually that image competes with the front subject but because he's completely out of focus, the shot seems odd - especially with the front subject leaving the frame.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Still nice work - especially if you've just started shooting sports. These things are pretty easy to fix for next time so you should be able to get even better shots fairly easy. Good job and keep at it!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:22 AM   #3

Thanks for the comments John, much appreciated

A lot of the pictures were taken very quickly. I was there as a supporter rather than a photographer so if I saw something developing in the game-play, I had to quickly bring the camera to eye and shoot. You're right about post-processing on the horizons, how's this?

With the body parts, that was how the original picture was taken, again hurridly. None were cropped post processing as I would definatley keep them in otherwise.

Picture #5 was a complete accident the goalie was in the frame, though blurred. Again, a rush shot of the foreground player but I kinda like it!

I should really go to a football game where I don't care who wins then maybe I can be morefocussed! :-)
Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:32 AM   #4

Juzzie wrote:
Quote:
I should really go to a football game where I don't care who wins then maybe I can be morefocussed! :-)
Yep, it's absolutely tough to be both a fan and photographer - two different ways to watch a game :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote