Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:06 AM   #1

I havn't put anything in this thread before so here goes... I was competing in a Karate Tournament a few weeks back and grabbed some shots while I was waiting around. KM7D 17-35mm Flash 5600 1/250 f4. Not super happy with it but I havn't done much sports stuff before. Gotta start somewhere hey.
Attached Images

Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:09 AM   #2

Actually, not a bad start at all. But you need to tighten up your framing. Sports shots are a little different than other types of photography. For good action sports shots you want the photo to be about the action so your framing needs to be tight so background clutter is removed.

Here's an example (and it's not a great one because I went too far and cut off the ankles) but this isolates the fighters and you can make out good facial expressions and it helps eliminate annoying backgrounds (sorry for the watermark but didn't have time to create a non-salable image). Anyway, hope this helps.

Sparring is always tough to photograph - if you want to get some work in doing action shots, start off with forms and breaking - it's much easier to be in good position and to anticipate peak action in those events.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:41 PM   #3

Thanks John I can see how big a difference it makes when you tighten up. It is funny because people often say I get in too tight with my bird photography....There is so much to learn. Ta.:-)
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote