Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:57 PM   #1
Mag

Got to try out some action pics with my new Olympus E500 today. The second pic shows panning technique which was a first for me and is quite challenging, I can tell it well take alot of practice to master.

#1 A High Balancing Lean

#2 Attempt at Panning

#3 I like this one because it shows steering and throttle Control.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly apriciated, I have did very little action photography.

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:53 PM   #2

Well, I'd say that you need very little advice because those photos look like they come from an old hand at action photography. That panning shot is terrific. The only nit-pick I would have is not reallyyour fault...I'm a bit distracted by the slightly amputated nose of the boat in the third photo. But I take a lot of airplane photos and I lose a LOT of shots because things fly out the frame so I'm sympathetic.

But those pictures honestly do look like you've been doing action photos for a long time. I'd be very happy if I could get results like that (we used to have boat races on the Red River locally but I haven't seen any action for a few years).
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:23 AM   #3
Mag

Thanks alot Brent for reply and comments. I was pretty pleased considering my experiance, but I had alot of throw aways especially in the panning department, which is a shame because those are my favorites, because it really gives the sense of speed. I did get a couple others that arent too bad but the one above is definately the best. Ill be trying again tommorw on day 2 of the races, hopefully i can find a decent viewpoint, today was great I found a spot all alone. Tomorrows is a different course, I dont think that will be the case but hopefully atleast Ill get a good advantage point.

Best regards,

Mag
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:52 AM   #4

Wow, I am really impressed with your efforts. They look great! Thanks for posting your pictures, I really enjoy seeing others enjoy their cameras. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:03 AM   #5

You're not tricking us about your ''lack of experience'' are you Mag.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:55 PM   #6
Mag

Haha, Im not!:blah:
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:58 PM   #7
Administrator

Excellent work! Boat racing is like car racing, the backgrounds are terribly distracting unless you shoot at slower speeds and pan-sync the subject as you did above. Keep at it, it looks as if you already have it semi-mastered and practice makes perfect, or at least closer to it...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:06 AM   #8
Mag

Thanks Steve, I value your comments/suggestions very much!

Best regards,

Mag
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:55 PM   #9

I`m glad I saw this post! Nice shoots, with the 2nd my favorite. I`m going to a motor boat race this weekend with my Pentax DSLR and my ol' trusty Sigma 135~400mm lense and see if I can still do pan shots like I used to do back in my younger days.

The technique I used touse was a low ISO setting , a shutter speed rarely over 125th of a second, and a wide aperature. I would stand with my feet just ever soslightly wider than my hips. I would try to keep my neck & head still, and in line with my spine. I would hold the camera with a easy, but not loose, grip and my elbows would be close to my body. As the subject approached I would pick a spot on the subject , like the number, and try to keep it dead center in the view finder, and pivot using my hips, and not by twisting my neck. I would gently press, not "crush", the shutter release when the subject was directly in front. If you "crush" the shutter release, you`ll induce lense shake in the pic. Oh yeah, if you can pre-frame the subjectso that the subject doesn`t over fill, nor under fill the frame at the point of shutter realease, that helps the over all pic too. Pic 2 is a bit underfilled, and a longer lense would fix that.

I hope this old man can still do it.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:43 PM   #10

Aw'ight, here (finaly!) are some of those pics. I did use a simple photo editing program called Irfanview to crop, sharpen, and "tweek" the color. I wish I had better background to enhance the pan effect.
Attached Images

PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote