Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:25 PM   #1

OK, so it was just a scrimage. But it was a beautiful day to be outside (although too bright for good photos) and it was football.

Dive in for the touchdown (notice the knee is not down so good touch-down call by the ref):

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:51 PM   #2

Great shots as always John. I'm finally biting the bullet and just purchased the Sigma 70-200 mm 2.8 from B&H today. I should have it in time for Friday night's game. Any suggestions as far as what kind of monopod to purchase or that you'd recommend? Thanks as always guys.
CheungWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:28 PM   #3

CheungWah wrote:
Quote:
I'm finally biting the bullet and just purchased the Sigma 70-200 mm 2.8 from B&H today. I should have it in time for Friday night's game. Any suggestions as far as what kind of monopod to purchase or that you'd recommend? Thanks as always guys.
I think you'll be very happy with your new lens. I think sooner or later every sports shooter ends up with a 70-200 2.8 (whether Canon or Sigma) because it's just so darn versatile.

Well, I've been very happy with the bogen/manfrotto 679b monopod. No issues with supporting my 120-300 lens and it's still decent size/weight. Some of the larger monopods are really too heavy/cumbersome and unnecessary unless you're going to be using a 400mm 2.8 or 600mm 4.0 lens or some other monstrosity.

I personally don't use any type of head on my monopod because I just use it for sport shooting and you don't need to change angles that much (i.e. not much more than a lean of the monopod will accomplish). The tripod collar takes care of allowing rotation between portrait and landscape mode. Now if you were also going to use the monopod for wildlife then a head could be very usefull. But I personally don't find a use for it in sports shooting.

Good luck with your new purchase and be sure to post some results!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote