Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:43 AM   #1

Practice Round - day 1 photos. All shot with Canon 20D, Sigma 120-300 2.8 lens and 1.4x TC.

Rest of the gallery:

http://www.jagsportsphotos.com/gallery/1804928
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:17 AM   #2

All you have to do is...look at the photographs!

Now I don't know muchabout golf but in the very first picture the ''17'' sign says this is why that club is over his shoulders

Check out Singh: discussing something to his caddy (?) re downrange, arms in that direction, enough space to the right to show us allyou have to do is look in that direction to understand what it is he's talking about.

All I can do issimplyadmire these John G. Great subject isolation from the background.

Obviously it helps to have the right equipment.

As noted on other topics, I don't have any credentials but I've seenenough photographs over themany, many years to know good stuff when I see it and how to really ''see'' it.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3

I'm no sports shooter but I always enjoy seeing & learning from your work John! #2 is just phenomenal. Greatcomposition, subject isolationand the stop action on the flying divot and ball is GREAT!
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4

My mom still lives in Indianapolis; right across from Butler University (the old football stadium ?). I was just there July 4th.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:47 AM   #5

Small world Andrew! Butler-Tarkington is a beautiful area full ofhistoric homes. And the Illinois St. Food Emporium is the best!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:24 PM   #6

Thanks guys!

I must admit #2 was my favorite - it was an 'ah ha' moment when I took the shot and did a quick review of it on LCD.

At first I was disappointed that I didn't get to see more of the elite players (besides Singh) but once you take the celebrity aspect out of it you realize ALL these guys are great and all offer great oportunities to watch and shoot. For anyone else interested in golf and photography I highly recommend going to a practice round rather than the tournament rounds. I've been to this tournament twice before during the tournament and the tees and greens are all mobbed. In all but one case I was able to position myself at every green I shot in order to get the angle I wanted (to a degree - the other problem is they don't wait for one another on the greens during practice - they all get up there and do their putts, chips whatever - they set up their own fake hole placements and put towards that). But, all in all, if you just want to watch the technical aspect of golf and to take photos, a practice round is the way to go. Oh, and bring the longest lens you have. With my TC on, the focal length of my lens was about 162mm-420mm. That was too tight all of ONCE during the day. The greens are so huge and you're back far enough that it wasn't an issue. So, if you do get to go, bring the long glass. 100-400 seems a good focal length (even if the 5.6 on the 100-400L is only 5.6). The down side is: after 5 hours the camera/lens/monopod was getting to be a pain th schlep around. But every time I thought about it, I just reminded myself I wasn't at work and suddenly the discomfort wasn't so bad
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:56 PM   #7

Thanks for the details on the shoot John! What an amazing opportunity. You know you love photography when you schlep that heavy gear around all day justexcited toshoot something new & different. My nephew just started football and I'm already scoping eBay for used 100-400mm's. (I had a 75-300 I used forbaseballbut returned it as it was a bad copy). While my main subject (portraits) let my creative side out, sports challenge myreactionary skillsand football seems to be the toughest given those helmets!

But I digress.. back to the "money" shot #2...if you have Photoshop CS (or even PSE 3 or greater) you could apply some fill flash to the golfer's face to get it out of the shadows. That's the only flaw in that shot - according to your own advice of exposing for faces LOL

looking fwd to seeing your fall sports work!

lynne
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:55 PM   #8

urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
That's the only flaw in that shot - according to your own advice of exposing for faces LOL

looking fwd to seeing your fall sports work!

lynne
Darn you!!! You pay too much attention :blah:

I'll take another look and see what I can do about his face. Lighting conditions were all over the place as I was constantly moving and covering a wide area - more challenging than say staying on a 100 yard field. So, invariably, I ended up with bad exposures which I tried my best to fix in CS. But thanks for pointing out that shot - I really like it and I'll see if I can lighten things a bit without destroying the detail (I'm pretty sure I already applied some lightening). Thanks again for the heads-up - that's the kind of feedback I need and the type of thing I like to see here - it helps all of us get better.

Good luck with football - when it's all said and done it's still my favorite sport. It's tougher than many but I think it's the contact that makes it so great - I'd probably be a huge rugby fan if it was emphasized more here in the States.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:42 AM   #9

In that harsh lighting situation, shooting from 400mm+, you couldn't have done much about the shadows. Evenusing a speedlite for fill wouldn't reach that far. I did a quick exposure edit on the face only,hope you don't mind. I could do a better job of selecting the face if you wanted to email me a hi-res version. I also ran it thru a light velvia action to punch up the colors a tad.

Attached Images

Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:31 PM   #10

John,

Heading there Sunday and wish I'd been there this week to also try my luck at some shots. Did you by chance get any photos of Phil or Tiger?

Aaron
Aaron Bell is offline   Reply With Quote