Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1

A few from last weekend's varisty football game:

OK, no faces in this one but I love the symmetry:

Watch these kids cut and you wonder why there aren't MORE knee injuries:

Again, no face - but there's a body flying so in my book it's cool

Anticipation:

Can you say touchdown just before the half:

Which brings us to the ISO 3200 pictures (f2.8 and either 1/500 or 1/320). By 3rd quarter I was forced into this - the lighting wasn't too bad but the dark green uniforms don't offer much reflection. White uniforms and I probably could have stayed at ISO 1600. The only reason some of these shots were close to usable was tight cropping and decent exposure. No way these are going to be as good as ISO 800 or 400 shots but at least they're still usable.

Gotta give the kickers some 'love':

More bodies flying, falling and best of all getting hit:

I should have brought a flash for fill but for first game of the season didn't think I'd need it. Never-the-less even in bad lighting if you have the right equipment (ISO 3200, 2.8 lens) and get an upward angle you can still get faces - to a point - down behind the endzone none of the photos of a 4th quarter goal line stand were keepers - needed flash for fill.

And, finally, the photo ops don't stop just because the play is over. defensive stand inside the red zone in the 4th quarter. I think these kids are pumped up:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:17 PM   #2

Taint nothing wrong with these pictures, great action shots
Jobeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:30 PM   #3

I love your shots & commentary! There's an intensity to this series that jumps off the page. I like #1, it has an almost abstract, floating quality to it.

Your action shots are superb as always but thevery last image really stands out. Photography is about emotion for me no matter the subject... and that one made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! Bravo! (hope they won)
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:20 PM   #4

urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
Photography is about emotion for me no matter the subject...
And I think that's why football is still my favorite sport to watch and shoot. I've watched just about every HS sport there is and while other sports like soccer are growing in popularity, I don't think the emotion levels manifest as frequently as they do in football. Shooting baseball, kids are joking and talking in the dugout while the game unfolds - but not in football with any decent program. So, I agree with you - the emotion shots are the gems

As always I appreciate your insights - you bring a distinctive left-brain (i think it's the left that's artistic :?) approach that I have to constantly work at. Fortunately photography is opening worlds of oportunities for me to learn :|
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:13 PM   #5

John,

Gotta Love them ALL! I love to watch your photos and learn how to get better and I really think you do a great job telling the story of game.....Thats what makes your shots so amazing!

Thanks for sharing....
Tammie
Tamsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:33 PM   #6

John, most are excellent and I've learnt a little more just from this post.

Ypu're probably right about the emotion but with soccer, its in the stands and the team benches.

Thanks for sharing the images and technical info,and the free lesson.

JC
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:42 PM   #7

JC,

I think yourve hit on a very interesting point - Ill keep my eyes on the fans the next match. Thanks for the idea
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:19 PM   #8
NHL

I like them all - The players seem to grow wings and levitate from the ground
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:54 AM   #9

Thanks all.

NHL - two posts in the sports forum in one week? Does this mean you've tired of the grace and beauty of birds and want to capture the somewhat less graceful human or mechanical motion :-)

Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:42 AM   #10

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
As always I appreciate your insights - you bring a distinctive left-brain (i think it's the left that's artistic :?) approach that I have to constantly work at.
Well thank you John! You've certainly taught me a lot. FYI Right side abstract/artistic ....leftside analytical, logical.

For a dose of emotion, you should check out my dad & newborn post on the people forum

lynne
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote