Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:29 AM   #11

Hi Tammie,

Thank you, We live in Texas about 25 miles north of Dallas, It was a late afternoon game.

I use a Canon 20D with a Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L Is. I just got luckly on being in the right place to get these pitures. I had to stay in the stands which can be to one's advantage because your are able to see the whole field,down side to that is your are sometimes shooting down on the players,( pros and cons)

Jobeye
Jobeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:48 AM   #12

Jobeye wrote:
Quote:
I was not allowed on the sideline,I had to stay in the stands,( If that big ole cop had not been there it would have been a differant story)

I was using my Canon 100-400mm and It was set at 5.6..
Ah - that explains everything. Great job from the stands then. Also helps explain you're incredible timing It's a lot easier to see action when you have a shorter visual arc. Doesn't take away from the fact you timed them perfectly but I always found receptions especially hard to get good timing on when on the field and shooting from side (as opposed to endzone).

Well done!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:09 PM   #13

Jobeye,

I think that your lense is a little nicer than my sigma lense. I think that I especially like that the cannon has the image stabilizer in the lense.... not an option on the sigma lense.:sad: I was on a budget though....
Tamsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:31 PM   #14

Tamsfam wrote:
Quote:
Jobeye,

I think that your lense is a little nicer than my sigma lense. I think that I especially like that the cannon has the image stabilizer in the lense.... not an option on the sigma lense.:sad: I was on a budget though....
Actually if you're on the sidelines I would much rather use the Sigma lens (with TC if necessary). The 100-400 is a fabulous lens but the 5.6 aperture makes it a poor field sports lens. Can't use that at night games and can't get as nice subject isolation. But it is excellent for the condition used here - far away.

For shooting football you made the right choice choosing the lens you did over a 100-400 (and I've used both to shoot football).
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:11 PM   #15

Well John I did take your advice before I purchased the lense and I am very happy with it however as you can see in my photos stabilization may be a small issue for me while I am learning......

but I guess this just gives me something to work toward.

Tammie

Tamsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:32 PM   #16

Tammie,

The Is works best in low light. The 100-400 is about worthless in low light-night time games.. For sports I don't think IS is really needed. You need a fast lense, The Is works best when shooting a shutter speed @ 1/30.

When taking pictures what Mode do you use?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:32 PM   #17

Tamsfam wrote:
Quote:
Well John I did take your advice before I purchased the lense and I am very happy with it however as you can see in my photos stabilization may be a small issue for me while I am learning......

but I guess this just gives me something to work toward.

Tammie

Tammie,

your varsity photo looks like it was shot at f4, -1/3 ec and 1/200 so your problem was the f4 setting and you shouldn't be using -EC. also the focus appears to be off a bit. IS would not fix any of these things.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:48 PM   #18

Jobeye

Greetings from down the road in Grand Prairie. Was quite impressed with your shots, since the 100-400 isn't known as a sports/action lens all that much. Well done!

PS - Who won the game?

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:09 PM   #19

Thank you Walter,

I don't know won the game, I was unable to stay ,Had to leave @ halftime and when I left the score was 0-0
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:33 PM   #20

Jobeye-

Can you secure a photo credential from your local paper? That will guarantee access to the sidelines. It may even earn you some money. Our county paper pays $25 for each shot used.

If not, see if you can contact the HS Athletic Director and offer to give some of your shots to the HS yearbook. That will surely get you sideline access.

I really like the shots - good luck this season!

Nick
SportShotsLive.com
SportShotsLive is offline   Reply With Quote