Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:18 PM   #6

Attached Images

Jobeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:19 PM   #7

Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:21 AM   #8

Jobeye,

Overall - excellent timing capturing peak action. That was very well done.

Out of curiosity are you already shooting wide open with your lens? There's a lot of distracting background in these shots. If you're already wide open there's nothing much else you can do (since it's fairly impossible to affect the distance between subject and background here). I don't have an exif viewer here but shots look like their higher than 5.6. Looks like these photos were taken at f8 or higher. What lens are you using?

On the specific shots:

1. Great timing! But there are three problems that keep it from being the great shot it could have been. 1st the focus appears to be off - the players on the sideline appear to be in better focus than the QB. The second part is much tougher to deal with - you can't see the QBs face. This is really tough - bright sun, white jersey, African American skin. The camera meters to protect the uniform - leaving the darker colors (pants, face) too dark. Your choices are either to use high speed synch flash or to blow the uniform highlights so you can see more of the face.

2 - strange crop. Too much dead space behind the action.

3. Good shot - I think if #2 were cropped like this one it would be just as good as 3.

5. Very good shot - probably the best of the bunch. Great timing. But, try this - see how the image looks if you straiten the horizontal lines of the stands more. Those lines and the field lines make the image look crooked (although the subdued vertical lines seem to be up and down so maybe this field is on a decent slope).

6. Of 5 & 6 - 5 appears to be sharper so it's the keeper out of these two although again - GREAT timing!!!

Last thing. Do you shoot from a standing position? It appears (especially in the first 4) as if you're shooting down at the players rather than up at them. Of course, I completely understand if kneeling is not a possibility - I know a few photogs that just have bad knees or backs.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:42 AM   #9

Jobeye,

I think you did an awesome job! I just want to know where you took these shots to have such great lighting! What equipment do you use?? Just wondering!

I love the timing, maybe I should have my husband tell me the plays so I know where to shoot to capture shots like that! LOL!

Tammie
Tamsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:14 AM   #10

Thank you John, Yup I did miss the mark on the first picture but it was a pretty good shot of the ref..The reason it looks like I was shooting down on all the players because I was not allowed on the sideline,I had to stay in the stands,( If that big ole cop had not been there it would have been a differant story)

I was using my Canon 100-400mm and It was set at 5.6..