Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Steve's Latest Reviews

Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:04 AM   #1
Default Olympus SZ-30MR

See Steve's hands on review here:

Olympus SZ-30MR

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:33 PM   #2

About time! And too late for me. I bought this a month ago and returned it three days later. Can't say exactly why, but finally came up with "almost". It's almost great in nearly every respect, but only almost. Even a close look at your sample images show a very grainy, though nicely sharp image. So "almost" a great image.

But most disturbing to me, in this and nearly all of the super zooms over the last years is this horrid trend to the "wide angle" which clearly is not inherent in the lens but is forcing a wider field of view than the lens can handle without gross distortion. My C 740 was perfectly fine at the wide end and I don't see why any camera shouldn't be. You have to take the SZ30 up to well over 50% zoom to get a 'square' and true perspective.

And audibly noisy! At first, I thought there was a very loud arcing going on in the electronics of the thing! But it is the image stabilization! At full zoom, it sounds like someone is getting tasered continuously. That alone made it very uncomfortable to use.

As for packaging, it is the prettiest damn thing I have seen in a camera! And feels good, though only in the right hand. (My C 740 had a nice hold in either hand.)

I have posted albums of shots on my photobucket account and test vids on my youtube account-

(Both accounts are under the name are eJud2001 in case a link will not take here.)

There are two albums, one showing side by side shots from each of 5 cameras, and one an album of random shots just from the SZ30.

I would love to recommend this camera, because it is so beautiful, compact, and does such nice images and vid- almost.

eJud is offline   Reply With Quote