Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Steve's Latest Reviews

Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Default Ricoh GR Digital IV

See Steve's hands on review here:

Ricoh GR Digital IV

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:54 AM   #2

It's a curious camera,this one. I'm not quite sure of the market it's aimed at.
I've always admired the fact that Ricoh quite often dared to be different- though maybe this is a step too far...? By all means have a camera designed for a specific purpose- but at the current prices,I just think it's hugely limited.
Some would argue that it would be good for indoor work,with it's fast lens- though at 28mm I'm not sure it's wide enough. Landscapes maybe- well,is 28mm wide enough- and would the fast lens be beneficial?
I think it has potential as a good macro or portrait camera,but I cannot see much use beyond this..!
Looking at the test shots,there does seem to be quite a bit of noise reduction at work- a little too much maybe..? That said- taking most of the test shots in Auto is not exactly showing the camera in its best light- who would buy this camera to put in Auto...!!??
The M+M man shots however,come out quite well at higher iso's- displaying the potential for decent sized prints straight out of the camera.
All in all though- would you really purchase this over,say,the Canon S100- and pay far more for the pleasure...??
You'd want your bumps feeling....!!!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote