Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 21, 2006, 4:15 PM   #1

This looks to me like one strobe on the background, a hair light, two brolly lights perpendicular to the subject and another bounced light head on? (this is from the controversial Jill Greenberg seris on crying children - http://www.manipulator.com/). While I think the theme is a bit creepy, I love the high contrast, glowing nature of the lights.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Many thanks, -E

khaksari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2

[align=left]Look in his eyes, that might solve the mystery?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:40 AM   #3

Your lighting assumptions seems close, but I don't see a bounced light set-up head "head-on". I do see a couple of reflectors held under his face, angled in (the reflections on his lower neck while the center remains in shadow), and a whole lot of photoshop......
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:03 PM   #4

There is another photo in that series of a little girl with dark hair and dark eyes. If you look in the reflection of her eyes, you can see, what looks to me, two reflector type umbrellas about level with the camera just on either side of the camera.

And it looks like there is a ring light on the camera too. You can also see the reflectors underneath the girl's face in her eyes.

And some kind of hair light and back ground light on the backdrop.

What's weird is that when I saw that pic, I was able to click on it and really zoom way in. Now I can't seem to do that.
spacetoast is offline   Reply With Quote