Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jul 8, 2003, 7:23 PM   #1
Default Can a Studio Flash system damage a digital Camera?

Someone told me today that if your not careful a pc cord connected to a studio flash power box could burn out a digital camera. I have a Canon D30 and I have connected it to a couple different power boxes and have not had any problems. Has anyone had this problem and or know someone who has? :?
byblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2003, 7:28 PM   #2

I would bet this is true of any camera. If you connect something to it which isn't supposed to be connect (delivers too much power, for example) there is a chance you'll damage it. Doesn't matter if it's a film camera, a digital camera... and portable CD player, a speaker system.

This is why you should pay attention to what the camera expects for the signal voltage range and what the device puts out. Better cameras might protect against this, but you can still overpower what protection they have....

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:55 PM   #3

A lot of older flash equipment, even battery powered hot shot flashes, could have several hundred volts at the sync contacts. Newer equipment usually has 6v at the contact. All Paul Buff equipment is this way as well as newer "digital compatible" Novatron equipment. When in doubt use a voltage isolatior like a Wein safe sync or a wireless or slave to fire your flash.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote