Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:21 PM   #1

Hello ,

Im a total noobie but im trying to learn some stuff.

Here is my question.

I have a kodak z612.

I will be taking pictures of deer in the woods with low light conditions. The flash is not an option because of spooking the animals.

What is the best mode to use for this type of picture taking? My pics are too dark with out the flash.

Do I just use software to lighten the pics ?

Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:44 PM   #2

Get a cheep tripod first. You will need to set the ISO to 200 to 400. The camera offers an 800 ISO mode at 1.1mp rez which might work if you are making small prints.

At ISO 200 in low light you could have a shutter speed of a 1/2 or more so the camera and subject can not move.

ISO 400 will make for faster shutter times but will have a lot more noise so you will have to add noise reduction later.

You are shooting past the range the camera was made for so it will be harder to get nice crisp shots.

Many anmanals don't realy care about a flash but some will run like the wind.:shock:

I did make a zoom flash adaptor for my canon S2 that you could also make for your 612. It will give a boost even at 50 feet but at 100' you will need an external flash if you want faster shutter speeds.

Link to the zoom flash adaptor.

I haven't had a chance to try out the flash on any dear yet but it should help some.

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips.

I will try it and see how it works.
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote