Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:46 PM   #1

I am starting to sell a few things on eBay and have come to the conclusion that a good, neutral- colored (grey- ?) backdrop would come in very handy. I am mostly selling record albums and china dinnerware so the backdrop does not to be too large - I'm thinking about 3' tall x 2' wide. I want it to be "L" shaped so the floor will not be seen. Is a convex shape a good idea? I don't want the wall & floor seam(s) to be visible, if you know what I mean. What is a reputable online source for purchases?
alton krenslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:07 AM   #2

Well, since you'er selling on eBay, look on eBay. What you're looking for is quite smaller than what I got from eBay, but you're on the right track. Adorama sells on eBay as well as online.I've always been happy with my purchases from them, although the shipping is always a little high, the price for each item MORE than makes up for it. For what you're selling, you might want to look at the numerous light tents that are out there on eBay. You might be able to find one large enough to fit your needs. They're essentially minature ensclosed "studios" thatprovide light form all directions giving an even light source.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:16 AM   #3

I thought they called it a photo ramp but I can't find a picture. It's just a curved piece of plastics or cloth so there is no seam.

For records that may be shinny some nice soft light might be a good idea.

There is lots of cheep light tents, many DIY too. White wrapping paper would be good or just white plastic trash can liners.

For cheep, fast eBay shots I use a 43 watt 5000K daylight CFL lamp in a shop reflector for top fill and just flash it.

A 3 pack of daylight CFL bulbs from Home Depo will go a long ways.

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4

I shoot product in my 'makeshift' studio in the bedroom.

I have a small collection of material I picked up either in the sale bin at fabric store., or from some costume piece I grabbed at a thrift store: a black velvet, a white velvet, a white sheer, a grey felt, a unbleached muslin.... I have a few yards of each - and don't think I spent more than $10US.

I just set up my ironing board behind a small coffe table. I lay the fabric over the board (holding it down with two big books), then draping down to and over the coffee table. I can easily adjust to get rid of creases (and the ironing board is nearby if things look wrinkled). I get a nice smooth L effect.

Then I light and shoot.

I do have one of those little 'light boxes' that are advertised, but don't use it as much since I am stuck with one 'look'.

Hope that helps and/or makes sense.

lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:49 PM   #5

Two low cost options for small articles:

More expensive solution

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote