Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 27, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1

I fail to see any written recommendations on the timing of the model, and how hard it is to have the correct light each time for each different position.

When using a moving model, does one need to have tens of strobes everywhere at full power ? Everytime my model is moving, the head looking up or down, the shadows move too...
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2008, 9:27 AM   #2

Depends on what you're looking to capture. For portraits, I always setup the lights, position the subject on the posing stool and table, and go from there. I make adjustments to what I see on the camera after the shot.

On the other hand, if you're doing a fashion shoot, where the focus is often the clothing instead of the model, movement will probably be required. It's hard to pose someone walking when they aren't really walking.

When the model's on motion, no, you don't need 10 strobes positioned everywhere. In those situations, you use a larger softbox than normal, and it disperses light in a LOT of directions. We have a 7' octogon softbox for these situations. Just make sure there's enough light for your camera to focus; otherwise, that would be a challenge.

So, the rule is: There really isn't one.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote